News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Simplicity Vs Complexity In Modern Living.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2012, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The issue of choosing between simple and complex solutions or products seems to have come up a few times recently, and given my advancing years I'm begining to favour simplicity over complex things, if only to save time faffing about new technology, learning it, updating it, finding answers to difficult technical issues. 

So which if any 'pole' do you tend towards and in which areas of life ?

Here's a good example, I'd call it the anti-iphone; I'd buy one of these at the drop of a hat to replace my aging phone, rather than plump for a 'smartphone' :

http://www.spareonephone.com/

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

jimmy olsen

I definitely prefer a simple phone, I'm on the internet enough and I'm cheap.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I suppose I prefer simplicity.  My phone's like six years old.  I have few material desires, or at least serious material ambitions.  I like handjobs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

I want simplicity.  I hate that I'm surrounded by so much useless shit.  The first thing I'm going to do when, God willing, I get a flat of my own is a mega-purge :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2012, 07:32:19 PM
I want simplicity.  I hate that I'm surrounded by so much useless shit.  The first thing I'm going to do when, God willing, I get a flat of my own is a mega-purge :mmm:

Yes I came to this realisation a while back, stuff just gets in the way.  <_<

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I like stuff that is simple and highly usable on the surface but if you want to do more is very complex.

And no. Not Apple.
██████
██████
██████

Phillip V

Quote from: Tyr on January 09, 2012, 07:53:52 PM
I like stuff that is simple and highly usable on the surface but if you want to do more is very complex.

And no. Not Apple.

Paradox games? :D

mongers

It's definitely a trend with me; I just converted a multi-geared bike (whole drive train knackered) to a single speed bike for about $25 and it's proving really useful.

The simplicity of the build makes it more responsive, quieter, less to go wrong and there's less to think about, so now I've noticed I'm spending more time thinking about and changing my balance to improve manoeuvrability.  :cool:

CountDeMoney

Meh, most of my telephones are older than most of you.  Same goes with my typewriters.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2012, 07:22:54 PM
I definitely prefer a simple phone, I'm on the internet enough and I'm cheap.

How about no cell phone. I dont have one anymore nor do I need one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Tech gadgets are cool.

I hate my Android phone with a passion and regret buying it but if I wasn't transporting myself between sources of the Internets via 15 minutes cartrips, I would probably find it more useful. Or if it's GPS actually worked.

So don't be a luddite. While you moan and wish for "simplicity" you forget stuff like trying to get hold of someone urengtly without cellphones, or trying to make an informed purchase decision without the Internet.
Or getting your hands on p0rn.

"Simplicity" is the wrong word. Tech stuff make things simpler. You might not be able to cope with the speed of it all, but that still is the case.

Ideologue

Man, sometimes I wonder what I'd be doing if the Internet didn't exist.  I'd either be a lot better off, or a hell of a lot worse.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)