News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Simplicity Vs Complexity In Modern Living.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2012, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

They are painfully associated with poseur cyclists in London.  Victoria Park looks like it's a road race there's so many of them.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2012, 09:21:38 AM
They are painfully associated with poseur cyclists in London.  Victoria Park looks like it's a road race there's so many of them.

Those will almost certain be fixed gear bikes rather than single speed. ;)

Fixed speed makes sense for bike couriers in London, they don't make sense for fashionable women in designer shoes. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

I go for simple items over complex. I want to be able to use something quickly and easily without having to learn a lot of controls for it or keep a manual handy.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2012, 04:55:03 AM
I don't really see the virtue in the multiple speed bikes, mine have had parts always slipping around and never were as easy to control or as much fun as the one I used to ride as a kid.
I had a bike in my youth, sort of, which had a replacement chain that was too large.  Obviously the whole mechanism was grabbing and slipping randomly, which instilled in me the lifetime fear of bikes.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 10, 2012, 12:38:10 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2012, 04:55:03 AM
I don't really see the virtue in the multiple speed bikes, mine have had parts always slipping around and never were as easy to control or as much fun as the one I used to ride as a kid.
I had a bike in my youth, sort of, which had a replacement chain that was too large.  Obviously the whole mechanism was grabbing and slipping randomly, which instilled in me the lifetime fear of bikes.

?

DGuller

This was Soviet Union, man.  It's not like you could just walk into a store and buy, well, anything.  If you could buy spare parts easily, then it would've made sense to buy the chain of proper length in the first place.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 10, 2012, 12:57:39 PM
This was Soviet Union, man.  It's not like you could just walk into a store and buy, well, anything.  If you could buy spare parts easily, then it would've made sense to buy the chain of proper length in the first place.

Not withstanding it being the Soviet Union.  :cool: :Embarrass: <_< Invariable the chain isn't the 'proper' length so you have to use one of those tools  to make it so.

PDH

Fuck simplicity.  Millions of poor people over centuries didn't have lives of squalor and tedium building the future of complexity that I live in for nothing.

You want me to turn my back on all the peasants of the past?  You are a cruel, heartless bastard, Mongers.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on January 10, 2012, 01:34:37 PM
Fuck simplicity.  Millions of poor people over centuries didn't have lives of squalor and tedium building the future of complexity that I live in for nothing.

You want me to turn my back on all the peasants of the past?  You are a cruel, heartless bastard, Mongers.

You know skis are rather simple things, maybe you should invent some gps enabled, motorised ones for your feet.   :P

garbon

I don't understand why this is dilemma. Some things are better when simpler, some are better when more complex. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

If I wanted to live a simple life I would live in a mud hut and hunted my own food... as long as I had highspeed internet for my PS3 and my 47" HD TV.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zanza

So which Android smart phone do you guys suggest? I am not sure if I really need one of the 500 euro models of if a 300 euro model is enough.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2012, 01:45:46 PM
I don't understand why this is dilemma. Some things are better when simpler, some are better when more complex. :huh:

The dilemma, of course, is which things are better complex and which are better when simple. Apparently opinions differ.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2012, 01:51:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2012, 01:45:46 PM

The dilemma, of course, is which things are better complex and which are better when simple. Apparently opinions differ.

Well put, much better than the way I framed the question in the OP. cheers: