'If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day…' Homework Asks

Started by garbon, January 09, 2012, 12:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2012, 01:37:10 PM
Quote"I'm having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts."

It hurts? Yeah, you having to do some hard parenting instead of letting the TV do it. Wasn't covered by Dora so you're fucked, eh?

I'm not sure I want to sit down with my kids & tell them all about slavery when they're just 8 years old.  I'd kinda prefer to let them go a little while longer thinking the world is/was a nicer place.  Besides, it's a really awkward way to try to do the "cross-curricular" thing.  When I was in elementary school, we would've laughed our asses off at questions like that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Man, I was well aware of the Holocaust by the time I was eight.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2012, 01:37:10 PM
Quote"I'm having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts."

It hurts? Yeah, you having to do some hard parenting instead of letting the TV do it. Wasn't covered by Dora so you're fucked, eh?

I'm not sure I want to sit down with my kids & tell them all about slavery when they're just 8 years old.  I'd kinda prefer to let them go a little while longer thinking the world is/was a nicer place.  Besides, it's a really awkward way to try to do the "cross-curricular" thing.  When I was in elementary school, we would've laughed our asses off at questions like that.

Is that the case though? I mean they've already explained about MLK in fuzzy terms, so you know that something not good happened to African-Americans, even if you don't know the exact specifics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

My guess is they just recycled a question from the 1920s...or the 1950s.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

If Fred leaves Cleveland in his Packard going 35mph headed toward Detroit, and at the same time Esther Leaves Detroit in her LaSalle headed for Cleveland at 55, where will they meet?

A: Toledo

B: Sandusky

C: Elyria

D: Brighton Beach
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 04:20:41 PM

Yeah WTF. Why wouldn't you tell kids about the juicy bits?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on January 09, 2012, 04:38:25 PM

Yeah WTF. Why wouldn't you tell kids about the juicy bits?

Well now they're all getting horrible history apparently, so problem solved.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2012, 04:23:34 PM

And look at you? :unsure:

At least I enjoyed my childhood.

Did knowing about the holocaust help that?

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2012, 04:57:10 PM

It made life interesting for Ide's Grade 2 class gerbil.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I was aware of a lot of things at a young age, particularly history & whatnot.  But I was a precocious 8-year old & had sought that out for myself, as I'm assuming the case with most of us here. 

I actually look forward to the day where I can help my kids learn about history, and if mine are curious and mature enough at age 8 I'd love to start taking them to Civil War battlefields & whatnot.  I just think that age is a bit early to have it pushed on them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2012, 05:06:30 PM

I was aware of a lot of things at a young age, particularly history & whatnot.  But I was a precocious 8-year old & had sought that out for myself, as I'm assuming the case with most of us here. 

I actually look forward to the day where I can help my kids learn about history, and if mine are curious and mature enough at age 8 I'd love to start taking them to Civil War battlefields & whatnot.  I just think that age is a bit early to have it pushed on them.

Isn't 8 a bit late?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2012, 04:57:10 PM

It helped him get the joke about 4 Germans and 24 Jews in a Volkswagen.