New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

"Hey hey, look at this! Badass squad of badasses here! Rawr, they got huge guns, and the Japanese chick sounds like an American, but is also a doctor! BOOM, OOPS, SHE'S FUKKEN DEAD."

The voice acting could use severe work. My Honduran, Russian, German, South African, and Japanese teammates should not sound like Amurrkun bros from California or the Mid-West.
Yuman

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2012, 11:03:20 AM
One day till the alien invasion.
for people who bought on steam it will be active at Midnight on 9th/9pm west coast on 8th.
Or for me at 8pm tomorrow.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Crazy_Ivan80

EU is couple of days later. When will they stop this nonsense of non-simulatious releases.

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 08, 2012, 02:24:31 AM
EU is couple of days later. When will they stop this nonsense of non-simulatious releases.

I was quite on the fence about shelling out 50 euros for this, but they made the call easy, since I will be able to torrent it more than 24 hours before being able to acquire it legally.

JonasSalk

I might pay the iron price first, then pay the gold price when it goes down during the Christmas sales.
Yuman

Syt

RPS has posted its review:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/

I like the intro:

QuoteThis statement is probably a little too navel-gazing, but right now I'm circling around this write-up trying to find a way in. I'm acutely aware of the need to balance any commentary on XCOM between addressing the questions and concerns of long-time X-COM fans and treating it as a brand new 2012 videogame aimed at at least as many people who don't know the original well or at all. This must be what Mitt Romney feels like when he tries to find words that will somehow appeal to two groups of people with fundamentally different attitudes towards society. Jim recently described XCOM as 'the critical challenge of the year', which only made me more fearful, damn his eyes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

It's a rather long and in depth review and seems to touch on all the questions/issues potential buyers may have.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Yeah, nice review.

I AM in an excited/worried state. I want the old UFO experience but to re-live it, not to repeat it, if you know what I mean. Kind of big expectations.

Syt

I think for the time being I will re-install Silent Storm. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Downloaded and ready to play tonight.
Will be using all of you as my squads. :menace:

Syt

Quote from: katmai on October 08, 2012, 08:56:04 AM

Please include me. I look forward to a particularly gruesome death. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Oh you are on list of about 60 languishites I have planned out  :D
Want a multinational force so using even folks like Ikk, mr. Penguin etc...

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on October 08, 2012, 08:56:04 AM

Don't kill me.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Kleves

Hmm... better to buy for seXbox or PC? Anyone seen any comparisons of the versions?  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.