New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Well 1st mission is tutorial which i had just watched online yesterday.
Looks promising all in all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

JonasSalk

Human power. Death to all beast men and some sort of creepy-crawly things.

Irony award: Potential to let Mexico be overrun and destroyed by illegal aliens.
Yuman

Mr. Grey

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2012, 09:57:11 AM
Quote from: Mr. Grey on September 24, 2012, 09:50:36 AM
I couldn't decide if I wanted it for xbox or pc....so I pre-ordered both  :D

Odd. :D

Yes, I enjoy wasting money I do not have  :Embarrass:

I prefer playing xbox when I am home, but my wife enjoys hogging the tv and I thought the pc version might allow more customization.
I thought the demo was amazing. I am bummed about the 6-person squad limit, but I will  get over it. I remember always bringing the maximum number of people on all my missions....just in case! Looking back, it was usually a mistake because half were usually rookies that got mind controlled into tossing a grenade within the skyranger!
Autokrator lives

ulmont

Well, the demo looks nice, but apparently my laptop refuses to handle it (i.e., overheats and shuts down).  Anybody got a link to how to manually tweak the settings down to "utter bullshit"?

Razgovory

I thought the demo was okay.  A few to many cut scenes though.  This might be the first Firaxis game I've ever played that had gore in it.  Blasting sectoids was good fun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Quote from: ulmont on September 26, 2012, 09:41:27 AM
Well, the demo looks nice, but apparently my laptop refuses to handle it (i.e., overheats and shuts down).  Anybody got a link to how to manually tweak the settings down to "utter bullshit"?

You can reduce everything in-game, including the resolution.

Yeah, the demo definitely makes me want to play the game...for about $25 or so. Not 40 or 50, though. Blastin' sectoids and their weird jetpack cyborg buddies is fun.

lol three of the people in the first mission get killed and you can't prevent it.
Yuman

katmai

For 2nd mission is there way to increase difficulty? Couldn't figure it out for myself.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on September 26, 2012, 09:08:40 PM
For 2nd mission is there way to increase difficulty? Couldn't figure it out for myself.

There's a demo editor floating around that might do that. Haven't tried it myself. http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?140536-Demo-Editor-I-just-Made
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

JonasSalk

Another thing in the second mission is that the tutorial thing says to try to stun the thin guys...but I couldn't find a stun ability on any one of my people, even upon getting face-to-face with the thin guys.  So eventually I blasted them and everybody got poisoned.
Yuman

ulmont

Quote from: JonasSalk on September 27, 2012, 07:27:37 PM
Another thing in the second mission is that the tutorial thing says to try to stun the thin guys...but I couldn't find a stun ability on any one of my people, even upon getting face-to-face with the thin guys.

There's no stun available in the demo.  It's basically a hint for later on.

Mr. Grey

Quote from: JonasSalk on September 26, 2012, 09:05:25 PM
lol three of the people in the first mission get killed and you can't prevent it.

lol I was cursing at my screen wondering why they would purposely make this my first experience with the game.

I had to tune down the graphics a bit...my laptop is 2 years old and was struggling.

On a side note, I just had my entire team wiped out on a cruise liner mission in TFTD...mind controlled even before I could get most my squad out of the skyranger!
Autokrator lives