News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Crap.  Well the nice thing about baseball is we get to do it all over again tommorow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

:w00t: Giants are beating Dodgers widening their lead atop NL West
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

QuoteBucs commit seven errors in ugly loss to Cubs

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Okay why is Strasburg getting so much play on ESPN?  I'm tired of hearing about this fucking dude.  I don't care about week 4 of SHUTDOWNGATE or whatever they're calling it.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 08, 2012, 12:24:29 AM
Okay why is Strasburg getting so much play on ESPN?  I'm tired of hearing about this fucking dude.  I don't care about week 4 of SHUTDOWNGATE or whatever they're calling it.

ESPN overplays and overhypes everything, but the Nats shutting down one of the best pitchers in baseball while having the best record in the game is probably the biggest story of the year. 

Sorry Orioles fans.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2012, 12:52:27 AM
ESPN overplays and overhypes everything, but the Nats shutting down one of the best pitchers in baseball while having the best record in the game is probably the biggest story of the year.

Meh.  After the first report, it's done, as far as I'm concerned (I'm not ESPN, unfortunately).  Not being a retard, I get what they were saying the first time.  Now they're freaking out about the guy having a bad game, and.....ah whatever....it's what I get for just leaving ESPN on all day after the Dan Patrick show is over.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 08, 2012, 12:57:04 AM

Meh.  After the first report, it's done, as far as I'm concerned (I'm not ESPN, unfortunately).  Not being a retard, I get what they were saying the first time.  Now they're freaking out about the guy having a bad game, and.....ah whatever....it's what I get for just leaving ESPN on all day after the Dan Patrick show is over.

You can't watch ESPN all day, you have to treat it like a radio program where they assume their audience turns over every 20-30 minutes. 

dps

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2012, 02:01:22 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 08, 2012, 12:57:04 AM

You can't watch ESPN all day, you have to treat it like a radio program where they assume their audience turns over every 20-30 minutes. 

Well, you can watch all day on Saturday during football season, but when they're not broadcasting live events, yeah, watching ESPN all day is like watching the Weather Channel all day.

CountDeMoney

Strasborg catches an EP psyche eval, lulz. 

QuoteWASHINGTON -- The Washington Nationals have shut down Stephen Strasburg after a shaky start against the Miami Marlins.

Manager Davey Johnson made the announcement Saturday morning. The Nationals had been monitoring the right-hander's workload, and Johnson says the media attention to his innings was "unbelievable."

Johnson said it was more mental than physical, and it was clear from Strasburg's Friday start that Strasburg didn't have his head in the game.

John Lannan will take Strasburg's spot and start Wednesday against the Mets in New York.

The move comes a day after Strasburg matched his career low by lasting only three innings, allowing five runs in the NL East-leading Nationals' 9-7, 10-inning loss to the Miami Marlins.

"To be honest with you, I think he just is thinking too much about the decision when we're going to shut him down," Johnson said Friday night. "And he kind of wore it. He didn't like it. But that's the way it is."

Strasburg, 15-6 with a 3.16 ERA, allowed two runs in the first, one in the second and two in the third, giving up six hits -- including home runs to Giancarlo Stanton and Rob Brantly. He threw 67 pitches and was pinch hit for in the third.

In his first full season after elbow-ligament replacement surgery on Sept. 3, 2010, Strasburg will finish with 197 strikeouts in 159 1/3 innings.

"I didn't command the fastball, kept on getting behind in the counts," Strasburg said. "I wasn't able to use my other pitches effectively and they kept teeing off on me a little bit."

The Nationals, wanting to protect the arm of the 24-year-old right-hander, had earlier said Wednesday likely would be his final appearance of the season, though Washington is likely to see postseason baseball for the first time since the original Senators in 1933.

Strasburg received a lengthy standing ovation from fans as he jogged out to the mound for what turned into a 23-pitch first inning.

Johnson said Strasburg may have been distracted by the shutdown talk.

"I can understand where he's at," Johnson said Friday. "And even in the conversations that I've had with him, he was having trouble sleeping, thinking about letting the guys down. So I understand his mood."

sbr

No mention of the Orioles' win over the Yankees?  Have you all lost interest already or forget about baseball while football is on?

Ooh, they beat Sabathia that is a huge win.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, IMHO, this win was even bigger than the first game of the series, not only falling behind to CC early, but then tagging him for the lead.  One more game to stretch the lead tomorrow would be nice.  :)

CountDeMoney

Looks like the win was costlier than first thought, with Markakis getting plunked by CC in the hand in the 5th.  Broken thumb, out 6 weeks.  See ya in 2013, Nick.  :(

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2012, 10:24:56 PM
Looks like the win was costlier than first thought, with Markakis getting plunked by CC in the hand in the 5th.  Broken thumb, out 6 weeks.  See ya in 2013, Nick.  :(

That's not good.

CountDeMoney

LOL, dude you gotta watch the highlights;  Texiera's last out was so blown at first base.

Hey New York:   :nelson:

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2012, 10:24:56 PM

Well...if they make it to the ALCS or something he could be back.  Not likely but hey who knows.  The laws of probability do not apply this year.

And yeah New York I have just one thing to say to you about blown calls: Jeffrey Maier.  So yeah, fuck you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."