NFL Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs!?!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 02, 2012, 06:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Apparently Carl predicted it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-g2ACJjkcE&feature=relmfu  Barrister, don't let your boy grow up like this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 09:54:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 09:51:13 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Can't really ask for a whole lot more.  Good defensive play on both sides (aside from the last TD, and btw I hate the "let them score" strategy) and a damned sight better than the string of mostly non-competitive games we had in the 90s & early 00s.  We've been really spoiled the past 4 years.

I agree about the competitiveness but I thought the game was lacking in big dramatic plays.

I also thought the Patriots had no choice but let them score.  Better odds than hoping they miss a 2 yard field goal.

I suppose football purists can enjoy "good defensive plays", but for me great football means high scoring and big dramatic plays.

I suppose I should clarify that I was talking about good defensive play and not spectacular defensive plays.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The story about Pierre-Paul's blind no-English dad was kind of charming.  Too bad by the time they got the camera on him he'd gotten so bored/confused by the French language broadcast that he'd stopped listening.

The Minsky Moment

btw I hate the "let them score" strategy

Should be a rule that if a team scores a TD in the last 2 minutes, they can elect to either go for the PAT or take 40 seconds off the clock.
That would give the offense incentive to go for the TD and the defense to stop them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

btw I hate the "let them score" strategy

Trading points for time.  Works for basketball.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2012, 01:05:34 PM
Trading points for time.  Works for basketball.

Doesn't work for basketball; it makes the end of nearly every game into an interminable foul-fest.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

I agree, the rules have been changed a bit in recent years to stop this but with little effect.

ulmont

And now, the long dark time between football season and football season begins...

Admiral Yi

Now we start gearing up for March Madness.  :)

Eddie Teach

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 01:46:59 PM
Now we start gearing up for March Madness.  :)

The final push to the NHL playoffs. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach