NFL Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs!?!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 02, 2012, 06:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

I think this is first super bowl i completely missed since started following football.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on February 06, 2012, 12:44:54 AM
I think this is first super bowl i completely missed since started following football.

Objectively speaking, you didn't miss that much- there was plenty of sloppy playing going on on both sides; Manning and Brady both threw to open air quite a few times, Giants kept having to recover their own fumbles, and Branch kept missing balls that Brady threw straight to him.

Also, as Raz mentioned, the winning touchdown was scored by an ass.  Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxfc1sA_rc
Experience bij!

Sophie Scholl

I watched remarkably little as well.  I've been kind of burned out on football since.... November?  The terrible play of the Browns and Raiders, together with either no long term plan or a garbage one at that point has driven me into just not caring.  I'm definitely looking forward to baseball, especially because the Sabres continue to fail.  I feel like it's been a very. very long time since I've been truly excited to watch or listen to a game.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Yeah, me too.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I watched the 1st and 4th quarters. And watched Holmes on Homes on HGTV in between.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 06, 2012, 01:14:14 AM

Objectively speaking, you didn't miss that much- there was plenty of sloppy playing going on on both sides; Manning and Brady both threw to open air quite a few times, Giants kept having to recover their own fumbles, and Branch kept missing balls that Brady threw straight to him.

Also, as Raz mentioned, the winning touchdown was scored by an ass.  Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxfc1sA_rc

I dunno - it wasn't a great game, but it was an entertaining game.  Score was tight all the way through, game came down to the final play and could have gone either way.

But then again I haven't watched a football game since November.

What was also nice is that the NHL conveniently scheduled a Jets-Habs game in the afternoon.  It was a cornucopia of sports. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 09:40:59 AM
I dunno - it wasn't a great game, but it was an entertaining game.  Score was tight all the way through, game came down to the final play and could have gone either way.

Can't really ask for a whole lot more.  Good defensive play on both sides (aside from the last TD, and btw I hate the "let them score" strategy) and a damned sight better than the string of mostly non-competitive games we had in the 90s & early 00s.  We've been really spoiled the past 4 years.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Can't really ask for a whole lot more.  Good defensive play on both sides (aside from the last TD, and btw I hate the "let them score" strategy) and a damned sight better than the string of mostly non-competitive games we had in the 90s & early 00s.  We've been really spoiled the past 4 years.

I agree about the competitiveness but I thought the game was lacking in big dramatic plays.

I also thought the Patriots had no choice but let them score.  Better odds than hoping they miss a 2 yard field goal.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 09:51:13 AM

I agree about the competitiveness but I thought the game was lacking in big dramatic plays.

I also thought the Patriots had no choice but let them score.  Better odds than hoping they miss a 2 yard field goal.

I suppose football purists can enjoy "good defensive plays", but for me great football means high scoring and big dramatic plays.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 09:54:30 AM
I suppose football purists can enjoy "good defensive plays", but for me great football means high scoring and big dramatic plays.

Defense can make dramatic plays as well: monster sacks, penetrate and blow up a screen or a sweep, stick a run play in the hole, lay out for a batted down pass.  I would have been happy with more of those.  Instead what I saw a lot of was good coverage downfield and dink and dunk passes to outlet guys. 

Razgovory

The let "let them score" strategy didn't seem to avail them.  Though in that last minute the Pats were moving down the field pretty good.  I thought for a moment that Brady might pull it off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I hope the ghost of Woody Hayes punches you in the balls.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2012, 10:04:48 AM

Woody Hayes is dead man.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 10:08:49 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2012, 10:04:48 AM

Woody Hayes is dead man.

Which is why he is a ghost. Sheesh.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 09:57:53 AM
Defense can make dramatic plays as well: monster sacks, penetrate and blow up a screen or a sweep, stick a run play in the hole, lay out for a batted down pass.  I would have been happy with more of those.  Instead what I saw a lot of was good coverage downfield and dink and dunk passes to outlet guys.

There were several sacks, and there was an interception caught inside the 10 (course it was like a 40-50 yard pass or so).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?