News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Designer Babies, Yea or Nay?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 28, 2011, 12:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should people be able to design their babies to the extent that technology allows?

Yea
9 (34.6%)
Nay
10 (38.5%)
It's more complicated than that...
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Ender

I'm all for superhumans, even if I don't get to be one.
Maybe a supersmart kid designed today will find the cure for cancer, or other such, that will affect us when we get older.

Trying to hold back the tide of humanity is a crime in itself.

Ideologue

Meh.  I'm hanging my hopes for immortality on brute force computational resurrection, not some snotnosed Alpha in a gray jumpsuit all hopped up on soma.  GO MACHINES!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Those instances of deleterious reproduction are limited in number and restricted to those with money and can not possibly keep up with the rate of natural selection on the whole population, which has increased 100 fold in the last 10,000 years and is likely accelerating even faster given the changes wrought by the industrial revolution in the last two centuries.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 28, 2011, 09:09:03 PM
Those instances of deleterious reproduction are limited in number and restricted to those with money and can not possibly keep up with the rate of natural selection on the whole population, which has increased 100 fold in the last 10,000 years and is likely accelerating even faster given the changes wrought by the industrial revolution in the last two centuries.

The absolute number of mutations have increased.  I see few classically selective pressures upon individuals other than disease throughout history, particularly modern history.  Even if the reproduction of deleterious traits is restricted to those with money, that means basically everyone with access to the amenities of modern civilization.  I mean, dude, you lived through leukemia.  Regardless of whether it was a heritable kind, that's serious shit that if natural selection worked strongly on people, you'd be dead.  But here you are, and you don't even need your cum popsicles.

There are tons of deleterious traits that kept up just fine with the selective pressures, such as there are, that have been applied to the human species.  Alcoholism.  Depression.  Fat-fuckery.  They're just as successful from an evolutionary standpoint as beneficial mutations, like being able to see a little into the ultraviolet or being immune to HIV.  Because of human civilization none of these really matter that much.  The CCR5 Delta 32 guys are simply not going to have significantly more evolutionary success than the depressed alcoholic fat fucks within this well-cushioned environment.

I'm sorry, there will be no gill men.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 28, 2011, 07:49:36 PM

How do you make genes not inheritable?  :huh:

It wouldn't be difficult to tweak the genetic code to make you shoot blanks.

jimmy olsen

How about this Ide, human brains have shrunk in size substantially in the last ten thousand years. There has obvious been positive selection on mutations that allow the brain to function at a high level more efficiently.

http://johnhawks.net/research/hawks-2011-brain-size-selection-holocene
QuoteSelection for smaller brains in Holocene human evolution
Mon, 2011-08-22 18:32 -- John Hawks
Research authors:
John Hawks

Background

An increase in brain size was one of the major trends of human evolution [1][2]. At the beginning of the Pleistocene, the average endocranial volume of fossil Homo specimens was approximately 750 ml [3]. By 30,000 years ago, this average value had increased to nearly 1500 ml [1][2]. Much of this increase occurred within the period following 800,000 years ago [1][2], during which mean endocranial volume in \emph{Homo} increased by approximately 70 ml per 100,000 years. This trend occurred in all regions of the Old World [2], which may have included either a single [4][2] or multiple species of archaic Homo [5][3].

Less well known is that the terminal Pleistocene and Holocene (ca. 30,000 years ago to present) witnessed a substantial decline in endocranial volume [6][7][1]. This decrease occurred within modern \emph{Homo sapiens}, and has been observed in many parts of the world [6][7][8]. The scope of this decrease is remarkable: for example, within the past 10,000 years the average endocranial volume in European females reduced from a mean of 1502 ml to a recent value of 1241 ml [7]. This decrease of approximately 240 ml in 10,000 years is nearly 36 times the rate of increase during the previous 800,000 years.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

OK, I'm not really arguing that humans didn't undergo changes.  I'm only saying that I suspect that systemic changes to whole populations due to highly successful traits has ended, because few traits can be termed highly successful, relative to any other, in modern times.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 09:42:12 PM
Who is John Hawks?

Professor from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
He's published some papers on the topic we're discussing.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/hawks/hawks.html

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 09:32:05 PM

There are tons of deleterious traits that kept up just fine with the selective pressures, such as there are, that have been applied to the human species.  Alcoholism.  Depression.  Fat-fuckery.  They're just as successful from an evolutionary standpoint as beneficial mutations, like being able to see a little into the ultraviolet or being immune to HIV.  Because of human civilization none of these really matter that much.  The CCR5 Delta 32 guys are simply not going to have significantly more evolutionary success than the depressed alcoholic fat fucks within this well-cushioned environment.

Over the period of ten thousands years (a long time by our standards, but a short time by evolutionary standards) you will be proved wrong as what one would consider relatively weak selective pressures can work over that period of time to fix a beneficial mutation in the population.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Well, maybe you're right.  But by that time the machines will decide what is beneficial.
Kinemalogue

Josquius

The Gattica issue is a concern but for simple stuff like hair and eye colour...should totally be allowed.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2011, 10:15:57 PM
The Gattica issue is a concern but for simple stuff like hair and eye colour...should totally be allowed.

You racist.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 10:27:08 PM

You racist.

Well many people already go for hair straighteners and perms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 10:27:08 PM

You racist.
How is it racist?

Japanese would love that being able to tinker with hair and eye colors.

1 Karma Chameleon point