News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Designer Babies, Yea or Nay?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 28, 2011, 12:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should people be able to design their babies to the extent that technology allows?

Yea
9 (34.6%)
Nay
10 (38.5%)
It's more complicated than that...
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Ideologue

There's some serious potential for abuse when you permit people to control genes relating to melanin concentration.  Just like abortions are okay in general, but they become seriously problematic in retard countries when combined with amniocentesis.

I'm not sure I actually favor banning it, but it's probably the most worrisome aspect of genetic engineering (other than the obvious problems inherent with class stratification if public financing is not made widely available).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 12:43:59 PM
When the superhuman gets a job, you tax his ass for all the good society's done him with his brain genes and big dick and so forth, and give it to his dumb flatscan neighbors.
No you don't.  You sterilize the flatscans and put them in camps.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

That's phase 2, to begin only after my death or somatic gene therapy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2011, 01:53:19 AM
That's phase 2, to begin only after my death or somatic gene therapy.
It would be unwise to put it off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Yeah, Ide is right. The current state of medicine and social sciences/ideologies means that almost everyone survives into adulthood. This means there is no environmental pressure on "good genes".

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 30, 2011, 12:23:32 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 10:27:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2011, 10:15:57 PM
The Gattica issue is a concern but for simple stuff like hair and eye colour...should totally be allowed.

You racist.
How is it racist?

Japanese would love that being able to tinker with hair and eye colors.

Considering Japanese are among the most racist people on the planet, I am not surprised.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2011, 12:34:21 AM
There's some serious potential for abuse when you permit people to control genes relating to melanin concentration.  Just like abortions are okay in general, but they become seriously problematic in retard countries when combined with amniocentesis.

I'm not sure I actually favor banning it, but it's probably the most worrisome aspect of genetic engineering (other than the obvious problems inherent with class stratification if public financing is not made widely available).

Why is controlling melanin concentration so horrible? Seems it can vary greatly without serious adverse effects.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

I'm pro, but with caveats: primarily, gene considerations affecting potential health or longevity issues should be addressed before and supersede gene issues strictly affecting vanity concerns (e.g. skin pigmentation should have higher priority than hair/eye color, especially if parents are of a genotype predisposed towards skin conditions).
Experience bij!

Neil

It has to be regulated so that all babies are born heterosexual.

dps

Just like abortions are okay in general, but they become seriously problematic in retard countries when combined with amniocentesis.

Are you talking about selective abortions based on the gender of the fetus, or something else?  Because AFAIK, selective abortions based on the gender of the fetus occur in all countries in which elective abortion is legal (though admittedly it's apparantly fairly uncommon in some countries but common enough in others that it may lead to serious imbalances in the ratio of men to women).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on December 30, 2011, 09:55:07 AM
Just like abortions are okay in general, but they become seriously problematic in retard countries when combined with amniocentesis.

Are you talking about selective abortions based on the gender of the fetus, or something else?  Because AFAIK, selective abortions based on the gender of the fetus occur in all countries in which elective abortion is legal (though admittedly it's apparantly fairly uncommon in some countries but common enough in others that it may lead to serious imbalances in the ratio of men to women).
I think it's been outlawed in some of the countries where the sex ratio has been thrown way out of whack because of it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 30, 2011, 10:38:57 AM
Quote from: dps on December 30, 2011, 09:55:07 AM

I think it's been outlawed in some of the countries where the sex ratio has been thrown way out of whack because of it.

I was asking Ide if that's what he was referring to.  I'm not sure that's what he's talking about, or something else.  The mention of amniocentesis makes me wonder, because you don't need that to find out the gender of the fetus--ultrasound will do just fine (though, admittedly not as early in the pregnancy AFAIK).  On the other hand, amniocentesis will also reveal some birth defects, but I don't think that's what he's talking about, either, because I don't think that he meant to suggest that aborting a fetus because it's been determined that the child will be born with, say, cystic fibrosis would only happen in "retarded" countries.  (Cystic fibrosis is detectable through amniocentesis, correct?  If not, substitute some other birth defect/condition in my example.)

Ideologue

Yeah, I meant sex selective abortions.

Amniocentesis will test for sex, too.  I believe it's not recommended in early pregnancy, but remember we're dealing with people who are going in with a 50% likelihood of aborting their child.  But an ultrasound works too, sure, though like you said I'm not sure if it will provide positive results as soon and my impression is that these guys want to know as soon as possible because they do want a child, they just don't want a female child.
Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2011, 12:21:54 PM
Yeah, I meant sex selective abortions.

Amniocentesis will test for sex, too.  I believe it's not recommended in early pregnancy, but remember we're dealing with people who are going in with a 50% likelihood of aborting their child.  But an ultrasound works too, sure, though like you said I'm not sure if it will provide positive results as soon and my impression is that these guys want to know as soon as possible because they do want a child, they just don't want a female child.

OK, but that's not limited to just certain countries.  It happens everywhere.  Granted, as I mentioned before, it's more common some places than others.

Ideologue

In small amounts, it's not that big a deal.  It's morally problematic for the individual, I'd say, but I'm talking about the places like PRChina where the actions of individuals in aggregate have basically doomed society (and more specifically, all those surplus males they think are more valuable than females despite their oversupply).
Kinemalogue