And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone know much about whiskey?

Started by Josquius, December 20, 2011, 10:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 21, 2011, 03:55:26 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2011, 03:54:30 AM
Southern Comfort is really in a different category of drink to Scotch or Bourbon  :hmm:

He'd probably prefer something more along the Kirsch or Slivovice lines.

There is always Drambuie, probably closest to the ideal of being similar to Southern Comfort but a bit more upmarket.
My English grandmother loves Drambuie

:cool:

So did one of mine, there was always a bottle at Christmas. It definitely hits the spot of being more upmarket than Southern Comfort whilst being in the same general category. But, it might also be Tyr's granny's favourite tipple, perhaps it is more or less an old English ladies' drink, we have to be careful here  :hmm:

BTW Tim, what part of England does your grandma come from?

Brazen

Bourbon drinker friends recommend Knob Creek. Plus it's amusing to ask for. Maker's Mark too.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2011, 04:06:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 21, 2011, 03:55:26 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2011, 03:54:30 AM
Southern Comfort is really in a different category of drink to Scotch or Bourbon  :hmm:

He'd probably prefer something more along the Kirsch or Slivovice lines.

There is always Drambuie, probably closest to the ideal of being similar to Southern Comfort but a bit more upmarket.
My English grandmother loves Drambuie

:cool:

So did one of mine, there was always a bottle at Christmas. It definitely hits the spot of being more upmarket than Southern Comfort whilst being in the same general category. But, it might also be Tyr's granny's favourite tipple, perhaps it is more or less an old English ladies' drink, we have to be careful here  :hmm:

BTW Tim, what part of England does your grandma come from?
20 miles from Stone Henge
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

A friend of mine is a member of the Whisky Club in London - note spelling, it's mainly Scotch. I went there one evening, but although I could taste the difference (some floral, some honey-like, some peaty, some "Oh my god, someone's tipped an ashtray in my mouth") it was wasted on me. Adding a small mount of still water is recommended, by the way. Ice and/or Coke isn't :P

besuchov

Syt' second suggestion  is awesome. Lagavulin is one of my favourites.

Richard Hakluyt

Ty Tim, that's mongers country you know  :P

Josquius

Drambuie....hmm....it is a bit common, he would certainly have had it before I can't recall him mentioning any like for it.

Knob Creek. Tee hee. Its not common in the UK is it? I do recall seeing it for the first time a few weeks ago at a (well, the) pub here and giggling like a school girl.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2011, 04:33:48 AM
Bourbon drinker friends recommend Knob Creek.
:cool: Made in the building Princesca works in.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on December 21, 2011, 12:17:02 AM
Southerne Comfort; however; not being a whiskey and being fit only to mix with soft drinks on the theory that soft drinks are neither sweet nor alcoholic enough for you; suggests that he is not a Whiskey man and giving him a peach schnapps might be a better option.

This.  Maybe Jagermeister or Goldschlager.

Scipio

Buy him a pair of balls.  SoCo is for girls.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2011, 05:53:57 AM
Drambuie....hmm....it is a bit common, he would certainly have had it before I can't recall him mentioning any like for it.

It is good for smoothing out cheap whiskey.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Anybody else not surprised that Josq thought of booze as a Christmas present?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

I know that like whisky, thats all I know about it. :)

Partial to scotch. Just about anything that says aged 12 years or more works for me.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Drambuie is pretty tasty in small quantities, but it's more of a hit and miss thing if someone will like it. If you know he likes Whisky, your safest bet is to get a single malt from Scotland.