News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone know much about whiskey?

Started by Josquius, December 20, 2011, 10:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Tyr, you live in Japan.  Could you not have gotten him some weird Japanese whisky?  It doesn't have to be good - it's just unique enough that it came from Japan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Scotch I've tried recently and liked:

Glenfarclas

Balvenie (all kinds)

Dalwhinnie

Ardbeg

The last one is an Islay, which I usually don't like as much as the Speysides. I like the peat but I want the woody earthyness too (Macallan, for example). Usually the Islays tend toward the lighter peat-only style like Lagavulin and Laphroaig--which I like less, no matter what the bloody Prince of Wales thinks. I liked the Ardbeg much more. The other day was the first time I'd tried Glenfarclas, which I'd describe as somewhere between Balvenie and Macallan. It was rich and heavy like Macallan, but not enough to leave that residue in the glass afterward.

Oh, and there are some surprisingly good Japanese things, I've heard. Never tried them though.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

I know that whiskey comprises a disturbingly large percentage of my Irish and Scottish ancestors' culture.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 12:14:15 PM
Tyr, you live in Japan.  Could you not have gotten him some weird Japanese whisky?  It doesn't have to be good - it's just unique enough that it came from Japan.

Japan produces at least one single malt whisky. It's not bad.

Warspite

Right now, I have an Ardbeg and Macallan on the go. They're both very good.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

OttoVonBismarck

I'm still scratching my head over the possibility that there exists a man whose primary drink of choice is Southern Comfort and this man also appreciates fine whiskey.

I'm fine with either of those concepts intellectually, but together they do not work.

FWIW I'm not saying liqueurs never have a place in your mouth, in extreme moderation it's not the worst thing to enjoy certain classic mixed drinks on rare occasions. However any proper man drinks real whiskey, neat, not some sugary concoction from Nawlins.

OttoVonBismarck

A proper man's liquors:

Single Malt > Irish Whiskey (HQ Only) > Bourbon > Rye Whiskey > Rum > Tequila

Any proper man can drink any of these and he's being acceptable. Whiskey (in its forms) and bourbon at worst can be served with a splash of water, no ice, no mixer. Rum and tequila may be mixed as long as it is only on special occasions and as long as the man predominantly consumes those spirits un-mixed. The only exception to the above rules is that bourbon may be mixed in the form of a Mint Julep at the Kentucky Derby, or at home on the day of the Kentucky Derby if you are celebrating the festivities remotely.

Any straight drink made from the above liquors will always trump all other drinks.

However, outside of this there are two "real liquors" which have their time and place: vodka and gin. Gin is the one liquor it is okay to always consume it mixed in some form, as its taste is not inherently magnificent as is a proper sampling of a gentleman's liquor. That being said, there are limits. The proper way to consume gin, if you will consume gin, is in a cocktail glass with a splash of vermouth and possibly an olive garnish. Gin and tonics are acceptable in moderation. Any mixing of any other kind with gin is mostly forbidden.

Vodka is unfortunately not a gentleman's liquor at all. However it is a "real" liquor in that if you cannot afford anything better drinking vodka, neat, is better than some of the more effeminate alternatives. However, only an animal or a slav would ever prefer vodka over one of the other liquors. Vodka is also, when properly distilled, a decent base for the ultra rare occasions when it is acceptable to indulge in certain fruity/frozen cocktails that require a mostly tasteless liquor base. Unless you are in cruise ship, at a theme party, or in Hawaii it is unlikely you are in one of those occasions. (And in most of those scenarios silver rum is still preferred.)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Otto feels very strongly about his drinking.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 21, 2011, 07:13:48 PM
Otto feels very strongly about his drinking.

It's up there with family and 19th century Prussian history.

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on December 21, 2011, 03:24:59 PM
Right now, I have an Ardbeg and Macallan on the go. They're both very good.

Havard gave me my first bottle of Macallan. Despite him being norwegian he hates the norweenie friendly smokey whiskeys like Ardbeg.

If you like the smokey stuff Ardbegs are good, if you like the clean stuff Macallan is good.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

I second the Japanese Scotch idea... that will be a great conversation piece for him whether or not he actually likes the taste. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Jacob

Yamazaki is, I believe, the premier Japanese single malt but according to wikipedia there are others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_whisky

Admiral Yi

Given his tastes maybe a bottle of Midori.

Caliga

On my desk right now I have a bottle of Glenlivet 15-year French Oak Reserve and a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points