News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone know much about whiskey?

Started by Josquius, December 20, 2011, 10:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've decided a easy present for my dad is to get him some whiskey- order online and have it delivered to him.
The decision then becomes one of...what whiskey?

His favourite regular stuff is southern comfort.  Is there anything which is of a similar type but...better, higher quality and more gift worthy?

For his 50th I also bought him a bottle of Jura which he rather liked- when my mam wasn't stealing it to use for frivolous wasteful things. To get the same thing again though...hmm...I'm unsure....any other good highlandy stuff?
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

This is quality

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Southern Comfort is whiskey liqueur, not whiskey.   :(  Very different than Jura, which seems to be high-end single malt Scotch.  :hmm:

I guess single malt is good for a present for its status/specialness... I've never tried it.  I love blended Scotch though.  My favorites are Famous Grouse, White Horse, and Ballantine's.  They are all pretty affordable in their regular shelf form, but I think they all make "__ year" superior aged versions that might be good for a fancier gift.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

I like Laphraoig which is very peaty.

I've got a bottle of anCnoc which I like a lot.  It's also a relatively easy whiskey which makes it easy to share.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 20, 2011, 11:31:14 PM
Southern Comfort is whiskey liqueur, not whiskey.   :(  Very different than Jura, which seems to be high-end single malt Scotch.  :hmm:

I guess single malt is good for a present for its status/specialness... I've never tried it.  I love blended Scotch though.  My favorites are Famous Grouse, White Horse, and Ballantine's.  They are all pretty affordable in their regular shelf form, but I think they all make "__ year" superior aged versions that might be good for a fancier gift.

SoCo is gross.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Southern Comfort is whiskey liqueur, not whiskey.   :(

According to a friend of mine (who is currently sans internet darn it) so is all American whiskey :p

QuoteVery different than Jura, which seems to be high-end single malt Scotch.  :hmm:
Yeah, I`ve no idea. You never catch him drinking regular off the shelf normal whiskey, only southern comfort, but he does like more expensive normal whiskey.

QuoteI like Laphraoig which is very peaty.

I've got a bottle of anCnoc which I like a lot.  It's also a relatively easy whiskey which makes it easy to share.
Hmm....easy ey....that sounds interesting. Strange colour though.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2011, 12:06:03 AM
According to a friend of mine (who is currently sans internet darn it) so is all American whiskey :p

No it's not.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2011, 12:06:03 AM
Southern Comfort is whiskey liqueur, not whiskey.   :(

SoCo doesn't even have whiskey in it anymore, just whiskey flavoring.  American whiskey is essentially the same as Scottish or Irish, just using different grains, most notably corn to make bourbon.  They are all distilled spirits made from grain mash.  Unlike SoCo which is a liqueur made by combining neutral spirits with flavorings.  All American whiskey is actually whiskey.

EDIT:  I guess "blended whiskey" is a little different, since they are largely neutral grain spirit (i.e. vodka), but that is basically what we call "Canadian whiskey" (Seagram's 7, Canadian Club, Crown Royal) and Canadians call "rye," with a few handles of American blended whiskey lurking on the bottom shelf of the liquor store.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Viking

When it comes to Scotch at least... give him a bottle with a name he does't know/doesn't understand and has a number which is at least 10 on the label and he will be happy and even if he doesn't like that particular whiskey he will love finding out that this is not his preferred type of whiskey.

Southerne Comfort; however; not being a whiskey and being fit only to mix with soft drinks on the theory that soft drinks are neither sweet nor alcoholic enough for you; suggests that he is not a Whiskey man and giving him a peach schnapps might be a better option.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on December 21, 2011, 12:17:02 AM

Southerne Comfort; however; not being a whiskey and being fit only to mix with soft drinks on the theory that soft drinks are neither sweet nor alcoholic enough for you; suggests that he is not a Whiskey man and giving him a peach schnapps might be a better option.
I like taking the hardest whiskeys and scotch and mixing them with sodas.

Am I a monster?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

When it comes to Scotch at least... give him a bottle with a name he does't know/doesn't understand and has a number which is at least 10 on the label and he will be happy and even if he doesn't like that particular whiskey he will love finding out that this is not his preferred type of whiskey.

As I said his casual drink of choice is southern comfort (and lemonade) but he liked the jura. He wasn`t too happy about my mam wasting it in hot toddies and cakes (!!!!).
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 21, 2011, 12:27:25 AM

I like taking the hardest whiskeys and scotch and mixing them with sodas.

Am I a monster?

No, just a girl. :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

Southern Comfort is really in a different category of drink to Scotch or Bourbon  :hmm:

He'd probably prefer something more along the Kirsch or Slivovice lines.

There is always Drambuie, probably closest to the ideal of being similar to Southern Comfort but a bit more upmarket.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2011, 03:54:30 AM
Southern Comfort is really in a different category of drink to Scotch or Bourbon  :hmm:

He'd probably prefer something more along the Kirsch or Slivovice lines.

There is always Drambuie, probably closest to the ideal of being similar to Southern Comfort but a bit more upmarket.
My English grandmother loves Drambuie
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point