News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 29, 2012, 12:11:38 AM
Ron Paul is Mohammed, Rand Paul is Abu Bakr?

Is one allowed to make analogies about Mohammed and the first 4 caliphs?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2012, 12:27:44 AM
Gee, Rick.  All these details of how we defeated the Brits.  DONT THANK THE FRENCH OR ANYTHING.

Yes, because the French are so beloved by the American people. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on February 29, 2012, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 29, 2012, 12:11:38 AM
Ron Paul is Mohammed, Rand Paul is Abu Bakr?

Is one allowed to make analogies about Mohammed and the first 4 caliphs?

Yes, unless you're Shi'a.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 29, 2012, 10:15:44 AM

I know.  It just doesn't make any sense. :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2012, 11:19:29 AM

I know;  maybe we should box up the Statue of Liberty and send her back, with her lamp replaced with a fistful of Freedom Fries(tm).

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2012, 11:19:29 AM

There's been a lot of attitude between our two countries in the last century or so.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Didn't him and Bob Dole worry about the state of the Republican Party (in the 90s) because suddenly they were on the liberal wing?
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

One thing I've been thinking about in terms of the GOP is this entire Nordquist pledge insanity.

On the face of it, the basic idea is simply ridiculous - a politician pledging to NEVER raise taxes for any reason, period, everandeverandever? War? Famine? Asteroid strike? The idea is simply ludicrous that a politician should ever make such a blanket pledge.

It is so ludicrous, that I can't help but think that this isn't a rational position anymore, but one based on some kind of strange faith. Taxes cannot ever be raised, not even if they are lowered elsewhere! The pledge actually would be used to go after someone who voted for lowering taxes A, B, and C, and raising tax D. This is no longer a matter of policy, it is a matter of religion.

Which makes me kind of wonder at the connection between religious fundamentalism in the GOP, and the GOP willingness to embrace what seems like a completely irrational position on a matter of something as secular as taxation. Is there a connection there? Is the same kind of blind "faith" that leads to people becoming religious fundamentalists that same faith that lets them actually believe something as insane as "no raising taxes ever under any circumstances no matter what"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Extremism in defense of God is not a vice.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on February 29, 2012, 12:13:57 PM
Which makes me kind of wonder at the connection between religious fundamentalism in the GOP, and the GOP willingness to embrace what seems like a completely irrational position on a matter of something as secular as taxation. Is there a connection there? Is the same kind of blind "faith" that leads to people becoming religious fundamentalists that same faith that lets them actually believe something as insane as "no raising taxes ever under any circumstances no matter what"?
I think that's the Andrew Sullivan line.  The Republican Party has ceased to be a political party but is now effectively a religious movement:
http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/02/the-nausea-of-santorum.html
http://www.amazon.com/Conservative-Soul-How-Lost-Back/dp/0060188774
He suggests that supply side economics, constant tax cuts, anti-environmentalism etc are now parts of the Republican credo and dogma.  They're closer to religious beliefs than political thoughts.  I'm not convinced personally.

What I find odd and dispiriting though is that everyone agrees with it.  The saddest moment in this campaign was in one of the debates when they were asked to raise their hands if they would agree to a deal eliminating the deficit if it was 90% cuts and 10% revenue.  No-one raised their hand, but what's worse is that the apparent moderates Huntsman and Romney were as staunch in rejecting it as Bachmann and Cain :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on February 29, 2012, 12:13:57 PM
One thing I've been thinking about in terms of the GOP is this entire Nordquist pledge insanity.

On the face of it, the basic idea is simply ridiculous - a politician pledging to NEVER raise taxes for any reason, period, everandeverandever? War? Famine? Asteroid strike? The idea is simply ludicrous that a politician should ever make such a blanket pledge.

I think the pledge is worded ambiguously enough to give some wiggle room, and I'd wager that most who have signed it would view it as having some flexibility (they *are* politicians, after all).  I know what the ATF's intent of the pledge is, but the pledge itself is pretty ambiguous.

In immediate terms, I like the pledge-- IMO spending needs to be curtailed first, then later we can talk about adding some possible tax increases to the deficit/debt reduction strategy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 12:40:11 PM
In immediate terms, I like the pledge-- IMO spending needs to be curtailed first, then later we can talk about adding some possible tax increases to the deficit/debt reduction strategy.

Um surely we need to do both at the same time?  Granted I prefer it to the strategy of cutting taxes and then later promising (but doing the exact opposite) spending cuts strategy the Republicans usually love but um...wouldn't an actual real world solution have to be a package of both?  Just sounds like a strategy designed to create excuses for failure and inaction rather than one that will produce results this country needs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 28, 2012, 07:24:01 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 28, 2012, 06:47:58 PM
What happened after our grandparents generation is that the Warren Court was willing to use the 14th Amendment as a tool to impose these kinds of rulings on a nationwide basis on state-run school systems.

The Warren Court couldn't have existed in our grandparents generation because the political world wouldn't have created (or tolerated) it.

That is so, but not because of views about the proper role of religious teaching in the schools.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson