News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on February 28, 2012, 03:02:55 PMstupid religious fundies who think freedom of religion means everyone is free to practice their particular religion

What else does it mean?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 28, 2012, 06:47:58 PM
What happened after our grandparents generation is that the Warren Court was willing to use the 14th Amendment as a tool to impose these kinds of rulings on a nationwide basis on state-run school systems.

The Warren Court couldn't have existed in our grandparents generation because the political world wouldn't have created (or tolerated) it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on February 28, 2012, 07:24:01 PM
What happened after our grandparents generation is that the Warren Court was willing to use the 14th Amendment as a tool to impose these kinds of rulings on a nationwide basis on state-run school systems.

The Warren Court couldn't have existed in our grandparents generation because the political world wouldn't have created (or tolerated) it.

It existed in my grandparents world. :huh:  How old are you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2012, 07:26:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 28, 2012, 07:24:01 PM

It existed in my grandparents world. :huh:  How old are you?
:hmm: I think we discovered grumbler's sock puppet.

sbr

When I was growing up I was always confused about what was on a Chief Justice Burger.  I would say the term made me hungry, but if the news was on we were already eating dinner.

sbr

And wasn't the Warren Court in the late 50's to late 60's?  My grandparents were already old then and I barely missed seeing it.

Kleves

Romney has won Arizona. Michigan too close to call.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

Arizona called for Romney.

Michigan too close to call but he's ahead in the count so far. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Kleves

Santorum's daughter looks like her father in drag.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Sheilbh

Best Romney speech I've seen so far (though his wife fumbled a bit 'let's congratulate the famous chair of Oakland County who you....all love so much...what's thei...BROOKS!  That's right' :lol:).  He's managing to get a clear message across for once.  But I think Santorum's speech was also strong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on February 28, 2012, 04:34:27 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2012, 04:25:01 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 28, 2012, 04:17:48 PMThey don't appear to have much power anymore, although an argument can be made that the power they had resulted in the Dems totally over-playing their hand when Obama got elected.

Maybe that is the deal...

I guess I don't follow US politics that closely so this may be a silly question... how did the Democrats overplay their hand after Obama's election?

IMO they used his election and the TARP crisis to try to shove as much crap and spend bullshit through under the guise of "stimulus" they could get away with, which caused the Blue Dogs to balk, and let the Republicans scupper anything and everything they tried under the guise of anti-crazyPelosi efforts. And since the Dems pretty much fucked Obama over (meaning the Congressional Dems) and all but told him "Nice job, now be a good boy and smile and wave while we get things done...", Obama ended up looking like a tool as well, which further let the nutbar Republicans play up the out of control spending, no leadership angle.

These days those Moveon nuts are pretty much irrelevant - maybe that kind of crazy bullshit only works when the other party is in power. Maybe if the Republicans got back into power, they would also marginalize their nutbars?

So I should give money to MoveOn to spite Berkut? :hmm:

:P

I do get emails from them.  Something to do with some petition I signed.  I don't mind 'em, I just don't read most of 'em, but they want to help elect some dude that's one of their vanguard to some congressional office.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 28, 2012, 11:05:04 PM
So I should give money to MoveOn to spite Berkut? :hmm:

You should give money to MoveOn to spite Ideologue.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2012, 02:47:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2012, 02:09:56 PM
I think it would be Rand Paul not Ron who'd go for VP.  Having him on the ticket with Romney would make McCain-Palin look like Reagan-Bush.

Maybe, Rand Paul is just starting out.  This very well may be Ron's last run.  Rand Paul can run for President much later.  Ron strikes me as a prophet more then anything else.  He wants to get the message out, which is why he's run for President since the 1980's.  He doesn't actually think he'll be President, and may not even want it.  The President can't do all the things he wants to do.  He wants to make his views mainstream.  Only then can the changes he wants really happen.  And I think he's succeeding. 

Rand Paul may very well be groomed for a run for the Presidency, but not now.  Rand Paul is the end game.  He's the one who will eventually do all the things daddy has been talking about.

Ron Paul is Mohammed, Rand Paul is Abu Bakr?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help