News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
I took absolutely no interest, what so ever, in college politics; I assumed I'd moved away to engage in adult activities rather than Juvenilia.
Same.  The one exception was a friend of mine running for a post in the Uni paper who was running against a very unpleasant girl who smeared him as homophobic and anti-semitic, he's part Jewish and has many gay friends and a gay brother.  But it was really horrible.  That's the only time I even voted in a Uni election.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I wasn't really talking about college politics but rather the political agendas (with regards to national issues) of professors bleeding through.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I was already pretty red when I went to college.  I think law school actually conservatized me to some degree.  You know, while I was in it.  Now I'm all about burning shit down again.  Even if things are finally starting to look vaguely up, I will NEVER FORGET.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

QuoteI was already pretty red when I went to college

Stay out of the sun.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
I took absolutely no interest, what so ever, in college politics; I assumed I'd moved away to engage in adult activities rather than Juvenilia.

Think you're missing the point here on this one, Lance.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on February 25, 2012, 03:29:01 PM
I mean, there's a legitimate debate to be had about whether trying to get everyone to go to college is the best approach; but to cast it as being it like that? Seems toxic to me.
I don't even think it's a legitimate debate.  If you see someone who is trying to tell you that everybody go to college, chances are they're either a dangerous left-wing weirdo or they're involved in marketing for the post-secondary industry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Does any of the candidates have a realistic plan to reduce the deficit?

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on February 26, 2012, 04:00:55 AM

I don't think any candidate has any plan to reduce the deficit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

I think the only candidates whose policies would reduce the national debt are Obama and Paul.  All the other Republicans are promising various kinds of unfunded tax cuts and increases tot the defence budget.  Romney promises those two and attacks Obama for cutting Medicare.
Let's bomb Russia!

Fate

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2012, 10:11:01 AM
I think the only candidates whose policies would reduce the national debt are Obama and Paul.  All the other Republicans are promising various kinds of unfunded tax cuts and increases tot the defence budget.  Romney promises those two and attacks Obama for cutting Medicare.

Cutting taxes increases growth, thus increases revenues and decreases the deficit.  ;)

Phillip V

How much revenue would be generated if we taxed religious organization?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on February 26, 2012, 11:39:45 AM
You could probably pay off the deficit just taxing Scientology :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on February 26, 2012, 11:39:45 AM
Probably just about nothing.  I would imagine that churches would have a pretty easy time writing off charitable shit, except for scams like Scientology.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.