News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2012, 10:11:01 AM
I think the only candidates whose policies would reduce the national debt are Obama and Paul.  All the other Republicans are promising various kinds of unfunded tax cuts and increases tot the defence budget.  Romney promises those two and attacks Obama for cutting Medicare.

Do you happen to know the nuts and bolts of Paul's proposal?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2012, 01:30:18 PM
I think the only candidates whose policies would reduce the national debt are Obama and Paul.  All the other Republicans are promising various kinds of unfunded tax cuts and increases tot the defence budget.  Romney promises those two and attacks Obama for cutting Medicare.

Cut $1 trillion in his first year.  Abolish Departments of HUD, Energy, Commerce, Interior and Education and the TSA.  End foreign deployments of troops and foreign aid.  Cut Federal employees by 10%.  End Medicare and Social Security as Federal programs, except for veterans and current retirees move it to the states.

Then cut corporate tax to 15% and end lots of other taxes with the end goal of a 0% income tax.

So I'm not sure how much it can be considered a 'realistic' proposal to end the deficit :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2012, 01:55:09 PM

Cut $1 trillion in his first year.  Abolish Departments of HUD, Energy, Commerce, Interior and Education and the TSA.  End foreign deployments of troops and foreign aid.  Cut Federal employees by 10%.  End Medicare and Social Security as Federal programs, except for veterans and current retirees move it to the states.

Then cut corporate tax to 15% and end lots of other taxes with the end goal of a 0% income tax.

So I'm not sure how much it can be considered a 'realistic' proposal to end the deficit :mellow:

Now you know why Paul supports pot legalization.  He's been smoking some real good shit.

PDH

So Santorum states:  "I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute"

Is he trained to say all the wrong things?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

No government, no deficit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2012, 02:26:10 PM
Is he trained to say all the wrong things?

His God commands it.
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2012, 02:01:29 PM

Now you know why Paul supports pot legalization.  He's been smoking some real good shit.

I'm absolutely, 100% convinced that the people who want to abolish the Departments of Energy and Commerce do not know what the Departments of Energy and Commerce do.

Patents and nuclear materials would be ideally handled by fifty different states, right?

Fun fact: Pantex, our sole nuclear bomb plant, is in Texas.  RUH-ROH.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 26, 2012, 03:03:43 PM
Fun fact: Pantex, our sole nuclear bomb plant, is in Texas.  RUH-ROH.

Actually, no.  We still make bombs at Oak Ridge, and another facility that escapes me at the moment.

Ideologue

I think it's the only final assembly plant... :unsure:

We haven't made a new nuclear bomb since 1991, according to the Pantex site.  They actually disassemble them now.  But they could do more. :ph34r:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Do we really want more nukes in the hands of Texans? :bleeding:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 26, 2012, 03:37:09 PM
I think it's the only final assembly plant... :unsure:

We haven't made a new nuclear bomb since 1991, according to the Pantex site.  They actually disassemble them now.  But they could do more. :ph34r:

There's a lot of places involved in the warhead weaponry supply chain.   :ph34r:

Phillip V

Quote from: Gups on February 23, 2012, 01:31:54 PM
Rasmussen has Obama ten up against Mitt and seven up against Sant,. AP  yesterday was similar and Quinnipag showing small Obama leads (except against Newt)

Also decent leads in Virginia and Penn for Obama.

I suspect Gallup's poll was rogue

Rasmussen now has Obama only leading Romney by 2 points, a statistical tie. There is indeed tightening for some reason.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

MadImmortalMan

It seems the Santorum implosion is beginning. They are running out of Not-Romneys though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

There is still one major not-Romney left.  Though he's a black guy who lives in a white house...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2012, 02:26:10 PM
So Santorum states:  "I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute"
To be fair he compared American church-state separation with French.  He's right.  Compared with the absolute line drawn there the US does have a different sort of separation, in my opinion it's a better balance.
Let's bomb Russia!