News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 21, 2012, 11:18:24 AM
The whole controversy was artificial from teh start.  The Democrats get to whip up the base on some weird fake battle about Republicans wanting to enslave women or control their reproductive rights ala abortion whilst the Christians and libertarians freak out about big gubbermint telling businesses what to do.  The stuff I see from both on Facebook is just scary.   not funny, or sad, but outright scary.

It was totally made up, true, but not by the Democrats.  These religious-affiliated organizations had for years been providing contraceptives as part of their medical plans, without a peep.  The law was changed to require medical plans to provide contraception without a co-pay, and that is when the religious right decided to pretend that they never had, and never would, supply contraceptives because it somehow violated their "religious freedoms."

Its a pretty feeble retcon, but then all retcons tend to be feeble.  It appears to be a retcon that has been successful, though; no one on the right seems to remember that we have not always been at war with Eastasia.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2012, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 01:11:41 AM
Watch out.  He's going to med school at the same university Martinus got his law degree.
Fate or derspiess?
Probably Fate.  Unless derspeiss went to med school.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2012, 12:46:36 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 21, 2012, 11:18:24 AM
The whole controversy was artificial from teh start.  The Democrats get to whip up the base on some weird fake battle about Republicans wanting to enslave women or control their reproductive rights ala abortion whilst the Christians and libertarians freak out about big gubbermint telling businesses what to do.  The stuff I see from both on Facebook is just scary.   not funny, or sad, but outright scary.

It was totally made up, true, but not by the Democrats.  These religious-affiliated organizations had for years been providing contraceptives as part of their medical plans, without a peep.  The law was changed to require medical plans to provide contraception without a co-pay, and that is when the religious right decided to pretend that they never had, and never would, supply contraceptives because it somehow violated their "religious freedoms."

Its a pretty feeble retcon, but then all retcons tend to be feeble.  It appears to be a retcon that has been successful, though; no one on the right seems to remember that we have not always been at war with Eastasia.
In a world of sound bytes and retro-editing speeches this is not surprising.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2012, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 01:11:41 AM
Watch out.  He's going to med school at the same university Martinus got his law degree.
Fate or derspiess?
Probably Fate.  Unless derspeiss went to med school.

Only to see my cousin graduate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Santorum just said the V22 Osprey was a vital program in fighting the War on Terror.   :XD:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Was he talking to a room full of folks who build Ospreys?

Ideologue

We're still trying to build the Osprey?

Like, I think they're as neat an idea as the next guy, but when the only tangible benefit of the program is inspiring this

I think you may have to concede that the V-Rocs have won.

:mmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Didn't we already lose the War on Terror?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Air Superiority Bomber?  Isn't that almost a contradiction in terms?

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2012, 10:30:55 PM
Maybe it bombs other planes.  It's Ideologues ideas taken to their logical extremes.

citizen k

Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 10:23:42 PM
Didn't we already lose the War on Terror?

America lost the War on Terror when the Patriot Act was passed.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 10:31:57 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2012, 10:30:55 PM
Maybe it bombs other planes.  It's Ideologues ideas taken to their logical extremes.
:D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Santorum failed to put away Romney at the debate, and reviews say that Santorum had a disappointing performance. The momentum seems to favor Romney winning both Arizona and Michigan. These are primaries, not caucuses, so it is less likely that Santorum will pull an upset like he did in low-populated Colorado and Minnesota.

Sheilbh

Rick Perry was spinning for Gingrich last night.  Of one Romney-Santorum exchange he said 'you could see them getting smaller.  They got literally, not figuratively, literally smaller.'
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Very funny exchange last night between Paul and Santorum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjN0gGb46jI