And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2012, 09:55:48 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 21, 2012, 09:53:25 PM
I figured Gingrich was down and out but he came on strong the last two weeks, after stopping his dumb ass attacks on Romney and Bain. He just botched all that, I feel.
He stepped those attacks up in the last two weeks.  He paid for a thirty minute documentary about it in SC last week.
He must have changed how he was doing the attacks, because I think they were hurting him before. Before he sounded like he was attacking Capitalism and the Free Market, as much as he was trying to slam Romney. Now he must have refined his attacks. But as I said, Romney should be able to speak to all that, and mitigate some of the damage. He just seemed ill prepared at first.

sbr

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2012, 09:59:07 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 21, 2012, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2012, 09:49:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2012, 09:46:54 PM
The county Romney's doing best in is 'Richland' :lol:

<_<

Is that your county?

Yep. -_-

Actually, I have no idea how primaries work.  Does my vote count toward the total of South Carolinian votes, or is it winner-take-all for counties, or what?

I think it varies by state, I saw somewhere that SC was a winner take all state.  Don't bet any money on that though.

Sheilbh

Someone on CNN just compared Romney to 'a mayonnaise sandwich on a silver plate'.  I have no idea what that means :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2012, 10:16:29 PM
Someone on CNN just compared Romney to 'a mayonnaise sandwich on a silver plate'.  I have no idea what that means :mellow:

No substance, no matter how nice it looks?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2012, 09:59:07 PMYep. -_-

Actually, I have no idea how primaries work.  Does my vote count toward the total of South Carolinian votes, or is it winner-take-all for counties, or what?
11 delegates for the state winner, then 2 for each Congressional district (I think).
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 21, 2012, 09:01:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2012, 08:58:55 PM
Well at least it's not Ron Paul.

:bash:

Sorry, I might be crazy, but I'm not that crazy.  For instance, I'm not worried that the UN will invade or otherwise take over the US.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X554O6TwiYM#!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Seems like Newt's race baiting bore fruit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

I think you're correct, Sheilbh--

Quote from: Bloomberg articleSouth Carolina uses a "winner-take-all" system to award delegates. A candidate is awarded 11 delegates for winning the primary, plus two delegates for each congressional district won. South Carolina has seven districts beginning with the 2012 election.

Hurm.  Well, I guess I helped after all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Listening to the focus groups makes my brain shrivel up and die.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2012, 10:19:37 PM
One interesting dynamic in Nevada and Florida will be how Hispanic Republicans vote.  Newt is to the left of the rest on immigration (and was attacked for calling for a 'humane approach'), though his ideas sound hideously dystopian.  I can also see Santorum appealing to proper Catholics, he's a serious, Catholic candidate in his approach.

Mitt Romney, on the other hand, campaigned in Miami in 2008.  He ended his speech as Castro would with 'patria o muerte - venceremos!'  Apparently the crowd visibly winced.

QuoteListening to the focus groups makes my brain shrivel up and die.
Oh sweet Jesus.  Some woman has just praised Newt's family values :blink:

In the same Florida focus group, which is clearly made up of idiots, they now think Gingrich is more electable.  That's bizarrely one of the more respectable opinions in the room.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2012, 10:26:53 PM

What they saying?

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2012, 12:24:38 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2012, 10:26:53 PM

What they saying?
Don't remember, my brain tripped into safe mode within seconds of exposure.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2012, 10:29:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2012, 10:19:37 PM
One interesting dynamic in Nevada and Florida will be how Hispanic Republicans vote.  Newt is to the left of the rest on immigration (and was attacked for calling for a 'humane approach'), though his ideas sound hideously dystopian.  I can also see Santorum appealing to proper Catholics, he's a serious, Catholic candidate in his approach.

Mitt Romney, on the other hand, campaigned in Miami in 2008.  He ended his speech as Castro would with 'patria o muerte - venceremos!'  Apparently the crowd visibly winced.

QuoteListening to the focus groups makes my brain shrivel up and die.
Oh sweet Jesus.  Some woman has just praised Newt's family values :blink:

In the same Florida focus group, which is clearly made up of idiots, they now think Gingrich is more electable.  That's bizarrely one of the more respectable opinions in the room.

Gingrich is clever.  He knows where to use those "Food stamp President" lines, and where not to.  I don't think he's a racist, but he's knows when to play the race card.

I'm unsure if Gingrich would make a good President (ignoring ideology).  One of his biggest problems is that people just don't like him that well.  He's pompous and arrogant and looks down at his nose at people who he believes isn't as smart as he is (which is pretty much everyone).  He also has a bad habit of throwing tantrums and getting all sulky.  And that's just his problems with fellow Republican lawmakers.

Still, part of me likes the man.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2012, 12:33:53 AM
I'm unsure if Gingrich would make a good President (ignoring ideology).  One of his biggest problems is that people just don't like him that well.  He's pompous and arrogant and looks down at his nose at people who he believes isn't as smart as he is (which is pretty much everyone).  He also has a bad habit of throwing tantrums and getting all sulky.  And that's just his problems with fellow Republican lawmakers.

Still, part of me likes the man.
And yet I'm odd for liking people like Santorum, Paul and Huckabee who seem quite nice, decent guys and all seem to have convictions of some sort.

I think Newt would be a dreadful President.  He's temperamentally entirely wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory