News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Well, I don't think voting for Cain would get me anywhere. :P

As I mentioned earlier, I have two sometimes competing goals--to vote for an unelectable candidate, and to vote for whoever can do the most damage to the frontrunner and continue the conflict.  The first goal doesn't look like it can be satisfied--Romney and Gingrich have some chance of being elected--but since the frontrunner is Romney, I will probably vote for Gingrich unless he utterly collapses in the next 24 hours, which I feel is very unlikely.

With the scandal stuff being opened up on him, all the better, since in subsequent primaries he may suffer, as he has made Romney suffer.  They will cut each others' throats and Obama will sail to victory on a sea of their blood.  It'll be great.

Of course, ideally, Santorum or Paul would be the contender; I'd love to help them in the primary, because they are both completely unelectable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 04:22:45 PM
Well, I don't think voting for Cain would get me anywhere. :P

Well, I suggested Cain on the grounds that "Americans for a better Tomorrow, Tomorrow" is campaigning for Cain even having Steven Colbert play Cain in it's ads.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2012, 03:45:30 PM
For what it's worth, I've seen that so many times in libertarian 'conservative' types they espouse policies about personal responsibility and limited government, and yet when push comes to shove the only loyalty they demonstrate in their private lives is to whatever their selfish motivation happens to be at that moment.

In short narcissistic, egotistical 'takers'.

Newt is anything but a "libertartian 'conservative' type."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on January 19, 2012, 05:52:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2012, 03:45:30 PM
For what it's worth, I've seen that so many times in libertarian 'conservative' types they espouse policies about personal responsibility and limited government, and yet when push comes to shove the only loyalty they demonstrate in their private lives is to whatever their selfish motivation happens to be at that moment.

In short narcissistic, egotistical 'takers'.

Newt is anything but a "libertartian 'conservative' type."

Sorry, I was using both as terms of abuse.   ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 01:30:39 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 12:33:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 12:17:19 PM
What about Ron Paul?  The guy has come in second in the last two runs.

He's completely unelectable :mellow:

Sort of the sad part is he gets most attacked in these primaries for the good stuff, the foreign policy stuff, and everybody seems to be cool with the bad stuff.

I naturally disagree with Raz that he is a one issue guy and completely obsessed with ending income tax.

Well of course you do, you are going to vote for the bastard.  What is his foreign policy anyway?  I thought it could be summed up as "Neo-Isolationism".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
What is his foreign policy anyway?  I thought it could be summed up as "Neo-Isolationism".

He's opposed to the neoconservative-style "spread democracy" use of our armed forces.
and the horse you rode in on

Jacob

Is Gingrich flirting with the gold standard? http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/18/news/economy/gingrich_gold_standard/

And here I thought I couldn't have a lower opinion of the man.

Phillip V

Romney leads Obama in 5 of 6 swing states

'Romney was tested against Obama in six states: Florida, Ohio, Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia and Wisconsin. Romney led in all but New Mexico, where the race was an exact tie.

Romney bested the president in Florida by 5 points, in Ohio by 7 points, in Nevada by 11 points, in Virginia by 3 points and in Wisconsin by a mere 1 percentage point.'

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/01/gop-poll-romney-leads-obama-in-of-swing-states-111368.html

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2012, 07:06:11 PM
Romney bested the president in Florida by 5 points, in Ohio by 7 points, in Nevada by 11 points, in Virginia by 3 points and in Wisconsin by a mere 1 percentage point.'

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/01/gop-poll-romney-leads-obama-in-of-swing-states-111368.html

Color me extremely skeptical of the bolded bit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2012, 07:27:03 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2012, 07:06:11 PM

Color me extremely skeptical of the bolded bit.

It's a poll 10 months out.  Who cares?

MadImmortalMan

Might as well consider Nevada a home-state advantage for Mormon Mitt.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Oh Gingrich is brilliant and evil.  During the debate he's released his tax returns and put them online :lol:

After Romney's cowardice on the open marriage thing I don't know that he expected that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 06:10:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
What is his foreign policy anyway?  I thought it could be summed up as "Neo-Isolationism".

He's opposed to the neoconservative-style "spread democracy" use of our armed forces.

It's a little more then just that, Fahdiz.  Such as closing the US bases in Europe, Korea and Japan.  Pretty much ending all foreign aid, end sanctions against Iran.  Also the ending US involvement in the UN and NATO.  By themselves, one or two of his foreign policy might be defensible.  Together we see an ideology of an isolationist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2012, 08:46:48 PM
Oh Gingrich is brilliant and evil.  During the debate he's released his tax returns and put them online :lol:

I think that sums up my opinion of the man.