News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on January 17, 2012, 02:50:55 AM
"I'd like to see us reduce government to meet the revenue, not raise revenue to meet the government."  I saw that quoted on Twitter (Gingrich, maybe?) and I like it. :) 

That's been the reactionary and Luddite call all along.  Read about the US preparedness for the wars of 1812, 1861, and 1914 to see where that leads.  I will concede that it is simplistic and likely very attractive to simpletons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2012, 10:25:49 AM
I wish Huntsman could get some traction.

He'd just pick an unacceptable running mate and you'd end up voting for Obama anyway. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Too late for that now.  Maybe 2016.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2012, 12:16:55 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 17, 2012, 12:12:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 17, 2012, 12:09:18 AM
Tonight Rick Perry called the government of Turkey 'Islamic terrorists', seemed to hint towards eventually bombing them and lumped them in with Iran and Syria.  Despite this I think that was his best debate performance by a mile and he may do okay, though not well enough, in SC.

I don't know if that says more about Perry, his party or South Carolina :mellow:

It tells you a lot about US citizens' intellect.
More like their education than their intellect.

It also tells you why the GOP is so eager to cut school funding and fire teachers.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2012, 10:14:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2012, 04:05:13 AM
0%?  Perhaps we should allow the rich to legally murder people if they feel like it as well.

His issue is Constitutional with regards to the federal income tax.  I do not remember exactly what it was, that it had to apportioned in a certain way or something else technical about the sixteenth amendment.  I do not really remember exactly.  Since it is never actually going to happen (and if whatever his issue is becomes significant, I am pretty sure the Congress will just correct it) I never paid much attention.

Sounds kinda like one of those anti-tax conspiracies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on January 17, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
That's been the reactionary and Luddite call all along.  Read about the US preparedness for the wars of 1812, 1861, and 1914 to see where that leads.  I will concede that it is simplistic and likely very attractive to simpletons.

Well we are in a tricky place.  The economy would have a hard time doing either, raising taxes or massively cutting spending...and then you have the issues with unsustainable debt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2012, 06:26:12 AM
Newt Gingrich certainly put that nigger in his place, all askin' about food stamps an' such.

Is anyone here still believe when Republicans call the Obama "the Food Stamp President", or a "Welfare Thug" that it isn't some kind of Racist dog whistle politics.  Santorum tried it and he fucked it up.  He actually said "Black people".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2012, 11:19:30 AM
Sounds kinda like one of those anti-tax conspiracies.

Eh it probably is sorta like that.

It just shows how far the establishment parties have pushed me that I am going to vote for the crazy old guy.

fhdz

Didn't he drop out yesterday?
and the horse you rode in on

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: fahdiz on January 17, 2012, 11:35:14 AM

Didn't he drop out yesterday?

If all the current candidates die, could he reenter the race?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 17, 2012, 11:47:21 AM
Let's take it one step at a time.

Gups

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2012, 12:00:30 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 17, 2012, 11:47:21 AM
Let's take it one step at a time.

Zombie Dennis Price is rather good at this kind of thing.

Phillip V

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 17, 2012, 11:15:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2012, 12:16:55 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 17, 2012, 12:12:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 17, 2012, 12:09:18 AM
Tonight Rick Perry called the government of Turkey 'Islamic terrorists', seemed to hint towards eventually bombing them and lumped them in with Iran and Syria.  Despite this I think that was his best debate performance by a mile and he may do okay, though not well enough, in SC.

I don't know if that says more about Perry, his party or South Carolina :mellow:

It tells you a lot about US citizens' intellect.
More like their education than their intellect.

It also tells you why the GOP is so eager to cut school funding and fire teachers.

'Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg fixed their sights Monday on a shared opponent: what they derided as New York State's education bureaucracy.

Both men said the state could no longer tolerate a public school system they said was failing students, invoked the ideals of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and appeared ready for a fight.

At separate observances commemorating Dr. King's birthday, the governor and the mayor ratcheted up their attacks on teachers' unions and school administrators.

Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, declared that "we have to realize that our schools are not an employment program" and vowed to press for the speedy establishment of a statewide teacher evaluation system.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/nyregion/cuomo-and-bloomberg-on-attack-on-teacher-evaluations.html

Ideologue

Quote from: Phillip V on January 17, 2012, 01:55:22 PM
Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, declared that "we have to realize that our schools are not an employment program"

Not in any shape or form, no.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)