46% in

Santorum: 24.1%
Romney: 23.9
Paul: 21.9
Gingrich: 13.2
Perry: 10.1
Bachmann: 5.7
Huntsman: 0.6
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Looks like Santorum hit the sweet spot for the flavor of the month.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

stjaba

Quote from: Phillip V on January 03, 2012, 10:04:19 PM
Quote from: stjaba on January 03, 2012, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2012, 09:44:42 PM
So far I think this is an extremely good showing for Romney.  If he can do well with the crazy Iowa caucus people, he should clean up elsewhere.

The problem is that Republican voters are super-conservative everywhere, not just in Iowa. Look at 2010, where Tea Party candidates won a lot of Republican primaries against moderate opponents across the country- e.g. Christine O'Donnell in Delaware, Rick Scott in Florida, etc.

Keep the conservative vote fractured among several competing candidates and have a favorable calendar of upcoming contests, which Romney has.

Bachmann will drop out soon. If Perry does terrible in South Carolina, he may drop out.

Phillip V

Quote from: stjaba on January 03, 2012, 10:16:11 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 03, 2012, 10:04:19 PM
Quote from: stjaba on January 03, 2012, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2012, 09:44:42 PM
So far I think this is an extremely good showing for Romney.  If he can do well with the crazy Iowa caucus people, he should clean up elsewhere.

The problem is that Republican voters are super-conservative everywhere, not just in Iowa. Look at 2010, where Tea Party candidates won a lot of Republican primaries against moderate opponents across the country- e.g. Christine O'Donnell in Delaware, Rick Scott in Florida, etc.

Keep the conservative vote fractured among several competing candidates and have a favorable calendar of upcoming contests, which Romney has.

Bachmann will drop out soon. If Perry does terrible in South Carolina, he may drop out.

Which means Romney won.

jimmy olsen

Bachman and Perry's voters will go the next best non-Romney candidate though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Interestingly on intrade, the odds for winning Iowa are:

Romney 55%
Paul 12%
Santorum 33%

Maybe the wackjob areas of Iowa have been disproportionately counted.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2012, 10:20:18 PM
Bachman and Perry's voters will go the next best non-Romney candidate though.

It will be too late by then, ala McCain 2008.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on January 03, 2012, 10:21:39 PM
Interestingly on intrade, the odds for winning Iowa are:

Romney 55%
Paul 12%
Santorum 33%

Maybe the wackjob areas of Iowa have been disproportionately counted.
When 31% of the vote was in Nate Silver wrote

QuoteAbout half the counties west of Des Moines have yet to report any results, a potentially good sign for Rick Santorum, since he has led the vote in most of western Iowa so far. Southern Iowa, where Ron Paul is running well, has also been slow to report results.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on January 03, 2012, 09:53:19 PM
Why? It didn't happen for Huckabee (who won Iowa by a much larger margin). Fred Thompson stayed in to fracture the conservative vote and thus gave McCain victory in South Carolina.

Fred Thompson wasn't rabid and neither was the Republican primary electorate(they were in power after all). Republicans weren't feeling confident about their chances and McCain's baggage was different than Romney's baggage. I don't think 2008 is the best model for what's likely to happen in 2012.

The reason I suspect supporters of those three candidates will coalesce is that those three candidates are spouting identical rhetoric. They're not enough to win, but there's still a lot up in the air- how quickly people start dropping out, where do Gingrich supporters go, what happens with the Paul faction, etc. 23% is hardly cause for the Romney camp to break out the champagne.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2012, 10:25:35 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 03, 2012, 09:53:19 PM
Why? It didn't happen for Huckabee (who won Iowa by a much larger margin). Fred Thompson stayed in to fracture the conservative vote and thus gave McCain victory in South Carolina.

Fred Thompson wasn't rabid and neither was the Republican primary electorate(they were in power after all). Republicans weren't feeling confident about their chances and McCain's baggage was different than Romney's baggage. I don't think 2008 is the best model for what's likely to happen in 2012.

The reason I suspect supporters of those three candidates will coalesce is that those three candidates are spouting identical rhetoric. They're not enough to win, but there's still a lot up in the air- how quickly people start dropping out, where do Gingrich supporters go, what happens with the Paul faction, etc. 23% is hardly cause for the Romney camp to break out the champagne.

None of those not-Romney candidates have the organization or money to go for the long-haul, let alone match the Obama machine. Heck, only Paul and Romney made it onto the Virginia ballot. Romney will win New Hampshire in a landslide, and the establishment will line up behind him.

jimmy olsen

88%

Rick Santorum 24.6%
Romney 24.5%
Ron Paul 21.1%
Newt Gingrich13.2%
Rick Perry 10.3%
Michele Bachmann 5.1%
Other 1.1%

1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Romney and Santorum currently separated by 45 votes.

Ideologue

Ed, go vote!

Oh, wait, Iowa and Ohio aren't the same place.  And yet they are.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Romney and Santorum currently separated by 19 votes.