And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on January 03, 2012, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2012, 09:25:21 PM
They won't. I guess they'll read "Republican primaries begin: Candidates A & B on top". You'll be lucky if it is explained somehwhere what the hell a caucus is.

At what point do we need to get Paul and Santorum out of spots one and two before the world realizes we are pyschos?  :P

Too late, they've already had their profiles and platforms explained. :p

See, another problem for this primary system, it puts the freakshows in the spotlight.

jimmy olsen

24% in

23.2% for Santorum
23.2% for Romney
23% for Paul
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Nate Silver

QuoteThe results in Boone County in west-central Iowa, one of the first to report all its votes, help to explain why the contest is so close tonight.

Mitt Romney underperformed his 2008 vote share in the county, taking 17 percent of the vote as opposed to 21 percent. Rick Santorum, although he won the county, did not perform as well as Mike Huckabee did in 2008, taking 30 percent of the vote to Mr. Huckabee's 42.

Imagine that Mr. Romney underachieves his 2008 vote share by 4 points statewide, as he did in Boone County. Mr. Romney would then finish with 21 percent of the vote.

Meanwhile, if Mr. Santorum underperformed Mr. Huckabee's vote share by 12 points statewide, as he did in Boone County, he would finish with 22 percent of the vote.

Everything we are seeing points to an incredibly close finish; I don't think this is a fluke based on the counties that happen to have reported so far.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

So far I think this is an extremely good showing for Romney.  If he can do well with the crazy Iowa caucus people, he should clean up elsewhere.

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2012, 09:44:42 PM
So far I think this is an extremely good showing for Romney.  If he can do well with the crazy Iowa caucus people, he should clean up elsewhere.

Except that Santorum/Bachman/Perry people are likely to coalesce around Santorum after this.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I dunno, people in Iowa don't strike me a particularly crazy.  Corny maybe...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2012, 09:51:22 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2012, 09:44:42 PMSo far I think this is an extremely good showing for Romney.  If he can do well with the crazy Iowa caucus people, he should clean up elsewhere.
Except that Santorum/Bachman/Perry people are likely to coalesce around Santorum after this.
Why? It didn't happen for Huckabee (who won Iowa by a much larger margin). Fred Thompson stayed in to fracture the conservative vote and thus gave McCain victory in South Carolina.

Phillip V

Romney would put states like Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania into play, not to mention many traditional swing states like Florida and Ohio. He is President Obama's most dangerous opponent.

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on January 03, 2012, 09:54:19 PM
Romney would put states like Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania into play, not to mention many traditional swing states like Florida and Ohio. He is President Obama's most dangerous opponent.
Yeah, I agree.  Definitely Obama's least favorite choice for the Republican nod.  OTOH Santorum would be a laughable nominee.

stjaba

The problem is that Republican voters are super-conservative everywhere, not just in Iowa. Look at 2010, where Tea Party candidates won a lot of Republican primaries against moderate opponents across the country- e.g. Christine O'Donnell in Delaware, Rick Scott in Florida, etc.

alfred russel

I could rationalize Paul being the nominee as us just being an independent minded country. But Santorum, the guy who promised to die on the hill fighting gay marriage  :lol: ...it would be amusing to see if an unpopular president Obama could win all 50 states, but that still wouldn't be worth it.

That said, neither of those guys have much shot to be the nominee. I'm just hoping that tonight Paul doesn't finish third. He is just in this for style points, and it would be too bad if a guy like Santorum knocked him into the also ran category.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

Quote from: stjaba on January 03, 2012, 10:00:57 PM

The problem is that Republican voters are super-conservative everywhere, not just in Iowa. Look at 2010, where Tea Party candidates won a lot of Republican primaries against moderate opponents across the country- e.g. Christine O'Donnell in Delaware, Rick Scott in Florida, etc.

Keep the conservative vote fractured among several competing candidates and have a favorable calendar of upcoming contests, which Romney has.