And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2012, 02:50:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 03, 2012, 02:47:09 PM
Well, that, and the fact that according to a book once written to describe the rituals of a sacrifical cult that has not existed for 2000 years (Leviticus), men having sex with men "as if they were women" was an impurity. 

Both are equally good reasons.  :)

Was that part in leviticus about condemning the ritual of temple prostitution or was it just saying that dudes who sleep with dudes cannot peform rituals in the temple?  Or did it literally demand the tribes of Israel find every man that ever had sex with another man and put them to do death?  I was never very clear.  But considering that text was written down thousands of years ago by unknown authors we will probably never know for sure.

I really have no idea. I suspect that the reason the authors of Leviticus were against it was because they were priests with a real hard-on for purity. Doing pretty well anything the "wrong" way got them upset - like wearing fabrics composed of two different materials, or waiving sacrifical animals the wrong way. It all has to do with conserving sacred manna by following the right taboos.

There is little in the way of evidence in the OT or elsewhere that this upset folks outside of priestly circles. For example, Kind David was pretty openly bisexual in the OT with his "your love was better than the love of women" shot aimed at Jonathan, and no-one suggested he be killed for it. On the contrary, he was the biggest hero. (Of course he also committed adultery and murder, but he was condemned for that ...)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2012, 02:32:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 02:02:54 PM
Let's all think up some kind of gross definition for Rick Santorum's name.  It's childish.

So homophobes big beef with gays is that they are childish?

Most people have a beef with adults that are childish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 03, 2012, 02:54:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 03, 2012, 02:47:09 PMWell, that, and the fact that according to a book once written to describe the rituals of a sacrifical cult that has not existed for 2000 years (Leviticus), men having sex with men "as if they were women" was an impurity. 

Admittedly, I'm not an expert, but don't women have this thing called vaginas for sex, which men don't? So Leviticus only condemns sex with post-op trannies.  :hmm:

Well, I'd love to take that argument to the Levites if they still existed.  ;) I assume they'd say something like "let us show you what the punishment for being a smart-ass is ...".  :D

Though as pointed out before the fact that there is no actual condemnation of Lesbianism in the OT means those who take it seriously (such as Orthodox Jews) don't consider Lesbianism as "bad" per se.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:01:24 PM

But you said that what homophobes hate about gays is personified by this one dude.  Are you suggesting that is what they hate about them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

So how many will drop out after losing badly tonight...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2012, 03:04:19 PM
Apparently Perry and Gingrich want to carry on until South Carolina.  Though I imagine that depends on whether they're humiliated or not.  Huntsman doesn't care about Iowa.  Bachmann really needed Iowa, so maybe just her?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 03, 2012, 02:59:28 PM
There is little in the way of evidence in the OT or elsewhere that this upset folks outside of priestly circles. For example, Kind David was pretty openly bisexual in the OT with his "your love was better than the love of women" shot aimed at Jonathan, and no-one suggested he be killed for it. On the contrary, he was the biggest hero. (Of course he also committed adultery and murder, but he was condemned for that ...)

Heh that is a fun one to throw around.  Also Ruth seems to love Naomi a bit much for a mother-in-law.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 02:02:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2012, 07:59:42 AM

What othervstunts are you thinking of?

Let's all think up some kind of gross definition for Rick Santorum's name.  It's childish.

So a total of one stunt? That's rather weak - especially when he was attacking an individual that seeks to deny him rights.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2012, 03:04:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:01:24 PM

But you said that what homophobes hate about gays is personified by this one dude.  Are you suggesting that is what they hate about them?

Yeah - not really sure how he epitomizes why homophobes hate gays with that one stunt. Not even a particularly egregious one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2012, 03:04:19 PM

The rule of thumb is only three tickets out of Iowa.

mongers

You know, what Shelf said in jest in reply to my offhand comment about them choosing a third party candidate, doesn't look so unlikely.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Doesn't Iowa just represent 1% of the votes or so? I don't understand why you would drop out with 99% still to go.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on January 03, 2012, 04:38:49 PM
Doesn't Iowa just represent 1% of the votes or so? I don't understand why you would drop out with 99% still to go.

Read this today:

http://www.businessinsider.com/iowa-population-2012-1

Iowa as a percentage of the US population:

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on January 03, 2012, 04:38:49 PM

Also rans lose their funding.

Eddie Teach

Because voters in other states want to vote for somebody with a chance of winning the nomination, so people who aren't competitive in early states become even less so as the primaries move along.

Also, as Yi says, donors want to back a winner too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?