News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Also Zanza, it's a state w/ a tiny percentage of the US population, of which maybe 100,000 to 150,000 will show up at the GOP caucus.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 03, 2012, 04:38:49 PM
Doesn't Iowa just represent 1% of the votes or so? I don't understand why you would drop out with 99% still to go.
Tim Pawlenty dropped out because he lost a straw poll in Iowa :lol: :weep:

He'd be surging around about now.  He could even be the leader had he stayed in.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2012, 04:55:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 03, 2012, 04:38:49 PM
Doesn't Iowa just represent 1% of the votes or so? I don't understand why you would drop out with 99% still to go.
Tim Pawlenty dropped out because he lost a straw poll in Iowa :lol: :weep:

He'd be surging around about now.  He could even be the leader had he stayed in.
He'd be surging at some point, surely.  There were enough months for everyone.  I used to joke a month ago that it's time for Ron Paul or Santorum to surge, because everyone else had their turn.  Now I just shake my head.

The Larch

All this coming and going makes me think about how unreasonably complicated, long and thus expensive US primaries are. Can't there be a simpler and fairer system?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2012, 05:17:46 PM
All this coming and going makes me think about how unreasonably complicated, long and thus expensive US primaries are. Can't there be a simpler and fairer system?

Yes. We ban political parties and everyone runs as an independent as god intended.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

The argument *for* stringing it out like this is that it allows marginal candidates to get their foot in the door through relatively cheap footwork.  If all primaries were on the same day then presumably only the folks with large advertising budgets could compete.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:01:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2012, 02:32:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 02:02:54 PM
Let's all think up some kind of gross definition for Rick Santorum's name.  It's childish.

So homophobes big beef with gays is that they are childish?

Most people have a beef with adults that are childish.

This brought out the childish in me:

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/3354

:lol:

Combine with this headline:

QuoteSantorum surges from behind in Iowa

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/136347948.html

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2012, 05:21:29 PM
The argument *for* stringing it out like this is that it allows marginal candidates to get their foot in the door through relatively cheap footwork.  If all primaries were on the same day then presumably only the folks with large advertising budgets could compete.

But why should they be that way in the first place? Why is a large advertising budget even necessary for an internal primary election?

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2012, 05:29:10 PM

But why should they be that way in the first place? Why is a large advertising budget even necessary for an internal primary election?

Why wouldn't it be?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

I think it's great.  The American primary system's a sort of wonderful democratic festival.

I imagine living through those news cycles and ads would give me a very different opinion.

Edit:  Having said that I think there must be some way you guys can shorten the election process.  I mean this has been going on for 6 months and we're nowhere near done.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on January 03, 2012, 05:33:45 PM

Why wouldn't it be?

Because it's terribly expensive, bounds candidates to make decissions according to the electoral whims of an unrepresentative territory and doesn't guarantee to produce the best possible candidate?

Eddie Teach

Because the decision is being made by regular joes who know fuck all about the candidates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2012, 05:40:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 03, 2012, 05:33:45 PM

Why wouldn't it be?

Because it's terribly expensive, bounds candidates to make decissions according to the electoral whims of an unrepresentative territory and doesn't guarantee to produce the best possible candidate?

How do you suggest you influence the voters without advertising?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2012, 05:40:39 PM

Because the decision is being made by regular joes who know fuck all about the candidates.

Who can vote in these primaries? Everybody? Registered Republicans only?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?