News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 02:05:37 PM
Gotcha Shelf.  Not settled at time of Dreyfus, totally settled now.  Any resident of France who confuses "French" with an ethnic group is part of the racist fringe. :thumbsup:

There is a strong cultural element to being French (much like to being American - at least last time I checked the President of the French Republic did not go on public record to say that members of certain religions/world-views are not "real Frenchmen"). This culture is obviously rooted in Catholicism (both in terms of a support and opposition), the Enlightenment, and overall "Gaulic" values. Most of the men who built this culture were white Catholics (or lapsed Catholics) who spoke French, much like most of the men who built American culture were white Protestants who spoke English. That does not mean the American nation is "ethnicity-based".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:13:58 PM
Shame about those Roma that were expelled a few years ago.  I guess it only really settled some time this year.
That's like saying the US deporting Mexicans proves that American nationality is tied to race.  The Roma were foreign, mostly Romanian and Bulgarian.

I disagreed with what the French were doing.  But it had nothing to do with France being an 'ethnic' nation.

QuoteSo Sheilbh, what were you impressions of the occupy demonstrators you meet in London ?
Haven't been since early into the occupation and I've been in Dorset a lot lately.  I'll speak to them when I get back though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:11:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:09:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 01:40:09 PM

If everyone is French, what was all the fuss about Dreyfus?

By the same token, you could argue that the assassination of Martin Luther King and the segregation are a proof that "American" nationality is about being ethnically/racially white.  :rolleyes:

Really, how?

If real discrimination against members of a given ethnic/racial group is a proof that the country's concept of nationality is ethnicity-based, then surely the sins of the French against the Jews in the 20th century are nothing compared to the American sins against the blacks. And a lot of racism against blacks in the US was (and still is) based in a "they don't observe/respect the same (American) values as we do", much like was the case with the French antisemitism of the Dreyfuss era - but again does it mean that the concept of American nationality is about being white? I disagree.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:16:54 PM
There is a strong cultural element to being French (much like to being American - at least last time I checked the President of the French Republic did not go on public record to say that members of certain religions/world-views are not "real Frenchmen"). This culture is obviously rooted in Catholicism (both in terms of a support and opposition), the Enlightenment, and overall "Gaulic" values. Most of the men who built this culture were white Catholics (or lapsed Catholics) who spoke French, much like most of the men who built American culture were white Protestants who spoke English. That does not mean the American nation is "ethnicity-based".

I think the US is very much ethnicity based. 

Razgovory

Er, we didn't actually destroy our Black population by sending them off to another country to be murdered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 02:22:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:16:54 PM

I think the US is very much ethnicity based.

Really? I thought one of the key points always mentioned about American nationality is that unlike a lot of Europe, it is almost completely divorced from ethnicity.  :huh:

Perhaps you understand "ethnicity" as something else than everyone else here does.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:23:24 PM
Er, we didn't actually destroy our Black population by sending them off to another country to be murdered.

Unlike the French, you put them into inhuman conditions and forced into slave labour on your own, and not because invading occupants forced you to do so, but in the 19th, not the 20th century, admittedly.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, to our surprise they totally held their own against the Vietnamese.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 02:19:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:13:58 PM
Shame about those Roma that were expelled a few years ago.  I guess it only really settled some time this year.
That's like saying the US deporting Mexicans proves that American nationality is tied to race.  The Roma were foreign, mostly Romanian and Bulgarian.

I disagreed with what the French were doing.  But it had nothing to do with France being an 'ethnic' nation.

QuoteSo Sheilbh, what were you impressions of the occupy demonstrators you meet in London ?
Haven't been since early into the occupation and I've been in Dorset a lot lately.  I'll speak to them when I get back though.

Irrelevant, if France isn't about Ethnicity and rather it's about Republicanism et all then it shouldn't matter where they came from.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 02:26:44 PM

:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:27:10 PMIrrelevant, if France isn't about Ethnicity and rather it's about Republicanism et all then it shouldn't matter where they came from.

Posts like this really show that it is useless to try to argue with you. I don't know whether it is your insanity or your stupidity but this post strongly suggests at least one if not both.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:25:29 PM

Unlike the French, you put them into inhuman conditions and forced into slave labour on your own, and not because invading occupants forced you to do so, but in the 19th, not the 20th century, admittedly.

Yeah, the French did that as well.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:29:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:27:10 PMIrrelevant, if France isn't about Ethnicity and rather it's about Republicanism et all then it shouldn't matter where they came from.

Posts like this really show that it is useless to try to argue with you. I don't know whether it is your insanity or your stupidity but this post strongly suggests at least one if not both.

Explain then.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:25:29 PM

Yeah, the French did that as well.

To Jews?  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 02:26:44 PM

:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!