And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 02:42:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:39:10 PM
And the basic building blocks of White Frenchman are people of Gaullic, Breton and Languedoc stock. So?

With an aristocracy derived from Germanic Franks and Burgundians.  And Languedoc and Languedoiel (sp) were linguistic, not ethnic divisions IIRC.

So France is an ethnically based state.

You are moving the target. We were arguing whether modern French national identity is based on ethnicity. Not whether the state was created by people of a given ethnicity or that most people living in it are of a given ethnicity. These are two different things.

CountDeMoney

I don't care whether they're ethnically based or not, the French are still cool.*

*Despite their rabid anti-semitism, but that's a Euro thing and you're going to get that anywhere over there, so that's a push.  The Poles used to be my #2, but that was before we met Martinus and his cocknibbling faggitry totally undid a rich Polish military history, so they've dropped and been replaced by the Danes at #2 and the Norwegistanians at #3 in my Power Poll. 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:47:17 PM
We were arguing whether modern French national identity is based on ethnicity.

No, we were arguing whether France is an ethnically based state. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:42:28 PM
French and American treatment of minorities.  There were still Black Slaves in France though and of course in French colonies.  Incidentally the US never enslaved it's Jews or destroyed them.
I don't think there were ever any black slaves in France that weren't being transported to the colonies.  I'm fairly sure that France, like England, had lots of legal get-around for slaves being transported but that the base position was that the 'air was too free' for slaves.  The colonies is a totally different story of course.

Of course the revolution initially abolished slavery - the Rights of Man were universal after all - and I think Diderot said 'better the colonies be destroyed than cause so much evil'.  But Napoleon relegalised slavery in the colonies.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:42:28 PM
Incidentally the US never enslaved it's Jews or destroyed them.

That's the beauty of America: where anywhere else in the world you'd be stuffed into an E-Z Bake oven, here you can be a movie mogul.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:50:56 PM
Oh, not the Danes!

Hells yeah.  Those guys have been Barney Bad Asses the last 20 years, and will pony up in a heartbeat.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:45:42 PM
Then, what exactly is French.
I don't understand your point at all.  Frenchness is being French - it's a nationality. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Okay, I'm not longer sure what you are arguing, then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 03:02:00 PM
Okay, I'm not longer sure what you are arguing, then.
Same.

For me, simply that French nationality and the national identity of France isn't ethnically based in any significant way.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 02:55:26 PM
Frenchness is being French - it's a nationality.

What about Chineseness?

Ideologue

That's about being extremely cheap and obsessed with money, yet unconcerned with the state of the world, and completely impervious to better ideas even when they're explained clearly and concisely.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 03:05:09 PMWhat about Chineseness?
Same.  Being Chinese is having Chinese nationality.  What makes that up in a more than legal sense is a whole different issue that I have no idea about.  It sounds like it'd be interesting though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Oh, and it's also about ignoring basic air traffic safety.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)