And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 03:03:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 03:02:00 PM
Okay, I'm not longer sure what you are arguing, then.
Same.

For me, simply that French nationality and the national identity of France isn't ethnically based in any significant way.

I think the problem is that when you say Ethnic you think of it as being primarily biological.  I do not.  While morphological features can play a part, they don't have to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 03:14:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2011, 03:05:09 PMWhat about Chineseness?
Same.  Being Chinese is having Chinese nationality.

So for the sake of this discussion we're just making up our own theories with no regard to reality?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Seems somewhat tautological.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 03:23:41 PM
I think the problem is that when you say Ethnic you think of it as being primarily biological.  I do not.  While morphological features can play a part, they don't have to.
Yeah.  I'd say ethnicity is like race but lighter.

QuoteSeems somewhat tautological.
Well if you go back to the point of what is French, and why the treatment of non-French people matters to an argument about Frenchness, then you reach that point.  French is being French, it's having citizenship of France. 

QuoteSo for the sake of this discussion we're just making up our own theories with no regard to reality?
What gives you that impression?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I would argue that ethnicity can be about physical differences but mostly cultural ones.  After all, they are both subjective.  It would be difficult to spot someone who is "Racially" French in a crowd of "racially" Germans and "Racially" Englishmen.

Ideologue

The Germans are the ones in well-ordered ranks calling you evil for borrowing money that they asked you to take.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 03:35:11 PM
Disavowal of the role in which ethnicity factors into being Chinese. In a poorly chosen turn of.phrase it is like you are whitewashing the messy ethnic history/strife.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 03:39:51 PM
I would argue that ethnicity can be about physical differences but mostly cultural ones.  After all, they are both subjective.  It would be difficult to spot someone who is "Racially" French in a crowd of "racially" Germans and "Racially" Englishmen.
That's what I mean by it being lighter.  But again I don't think I'd consider any of those examples as ethnic groups.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 03:47:39 PM
That's what I mean by it being lighter.  But again I don't think I'd consider any of those examples as ethnic groups.

:huh: What *would* you consider an ethnic group?

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on December 28, 2011, 03:47:01 PM
Disavowal of the role in which ethnicity factors into being Chinese. In a poorly chosen turn of.phrase it is like you are whitewashing the messy ethnic history/strife.
I think you should read my post again - remembering what me and Raz were talking about.

What you're talking about is part of what makes up Chinese identity which I said I've no knowledge of but would find interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 03:51:48 PM
:huh: What *would* you consider an ethnic group?
All sorts Welsh, Breton, Cornish, WASP, Kurds, Turks (as ethnicity not nationality), Berbers, Finns (again as opposed to nationality which may be different and surely includes the Sami).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 03:53:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 28, 2011, 03:47:01 PM
I think you should read my post again - remembering what me and Raz were talking about.

What you're talking about is part of what makes up Chinese identity which I said I've no knowledge of but would find interesting.

What is the point in divorcing the concepts if the state uses its powers to enforce the correct identity? Sounds largely like a dishonest use of semantics to suggest such a state is not ethnically based.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on December 28, 2011, 04:00:14 PM
What is the point in divorcing the concepts if the state uses its powers to enforce the correct identity? Sounds largely like a dishonest use of semantics to suggest such a state is not ethnically based.
How's it dishonest?

I split the two because I think in most of the West they're split - and they certainly are in France which was the example we were talking about.  I also think it's helpful to split off nationality as a legal idea from national identity which is more cultural.  I'll take your word that China's an ethnic state, that's not a surprise but it also doesn't disagree with what I wrote.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 03:58:31 PM
All sorts Welsh, Breton, Cornish, WASP, Kurds, Turks (as ethnicity not nationality), Berbers, Finns (again as opposed to nationality which may be different and surely includes the Sami).

What makes these ethnic groups and others such as English and German not?