And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2011, 07:48:23 PM
I'd say it really started around that time.  After all,  Louis XVI changed his title from King of France to King of the French.  France is a geographic construct, French is an ethnic one.  Napoleon followed in his footsteps when he declared himself Emperor of the French.  It reflects a shift in ideology about the importance of ethnicity and the state.
There's nothing ethnic about 'French'.  'Frenchness' is an all-encompassing category for citizens of France.  It's defined by Republican values, the French language and certain vision of French culture.  All of those have, to a greater or lesser extent, emerged through political change rather than in response to social conditions.  So, I'd suggest, that Occitan culture is ground up whereas there is an elite, prescribed version of French culture that attaches to 'Frenchness'.  France is theoretically the least racially or ethnically involved nation in Europe if not the world.  Theoretically there's no equivalent to Italian-American in France, you're French and that's that.  If you want to spend your time doing Breton folk dances or listening to storytellers then that's fine but it doesn't make you Breton-French or Arabic-French, you're simply French and no different from a cultural dilettante from the region who enjoys regionalism.

Other countries in Europe are less extreme than the French but I do think they're all hovering around there and increasingly heading in that direction.  As so often happens the French impose this as an elite ideology, eventually the rest of Europe copies more democratically on the ground.  I don't know that many European nations could be described as ethnically based any more.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Hogwash Shelf.  The concept of Frenchness predates the Republic.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

So commonly held beliefs and definitions don't change by government proclaimation.

If everyone is French, what was all the fuss about Dreyfus?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 01:28:37 PM
Theoretically there's no equivalent to Italian-American in France, you're French and that's that.  If you want to spend your time doing Breton folk dances or listening to storytellers then that's fine but it doesn't make you Breton-French or Arabic-French, you're simply French and no different from a cultural dilettante from the region who enjoys regionalism.
And that's the problem of using theory to describe realities. Besides be labeled African-American doesn't make one less "ethnically" American. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 01:40:09 PM
So commonly held beliefs and definitions don't change by government proclaimation.
No but they change over time.  The ideas of Frenchness in the V Republic are overwhelmingly based on the ideas of the Republic.  The idea that modern French nationalism - when the country is led by a man who's ethnically Hungarian, Jewish and Greek - is somehow based on the ethnic merger of Gauls and Burgundians during a barely remembered Medieval war (in popular discourse) is laughable and absurd.

QuoteIf everyone is French, what was all the fuss about Dreyfus?
I don't think Republican Frenchness was settled by then.  I think the entire 19th century and much of early 20th century French history can be read as a dispute about what sort of nation France was to be.  There was a lot of settling from the Revolution going on.  Now I think it's settled.  The legitimists and the reactionaries lost.  Frenchness came to be defined in the tradition of the Jacobins, Hugo, Gambetta, Zola, Mendes-France and de Gaulle, their opponents' rather negative and sterile idea of nationhood.

The effect of Dreyfus on ideas of Frenchness and France don't just cover his mistreatment.  They must also cover the campaign for him, the Dreyfusards ultimately successful attempt to try and redeem France.

Edit:  Also I've personally always agreed with line that 'a country that tears itself apart to defend the honor of a small Jewish captain is somewhere worth going.'  That all this happened over an individual case of injustice is admirable in the context of the turn of the century.  It's a shame it didn't extend to brutality against entire groups both in France and her colonial Empire.  But it's a start.

QuoteAnd that's the problem of using theory to describe realities. Besides be labeled African-American doesn't make one less "ethnically" American. :huh:
I think nationality is mostly theory.  That's because, as with French, American isn't an ethnic category.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

How generous of the French.  They allowed other ethnic groups in their borders to keep their stories and dances!

How exactly do you reach the "you're French and that's that.", level?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Gotcha Shelf.  Not settled at time of Dreyfus, totally settled now.  Any resident of France who confuses "French" with an ethnic group is part of the racist fringe. :thumbsup:

Martinus

By the same token, you could argue that the assassination of Martin Luther King and the segregation are a proof that "American" nationality is about being ethnically/racially white.  :rolleyes:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 02:05:37 PM
Gotcha Shelf.  Not settled at time of Dreyfus, totally settled now.  Any resident of France who confuses "French" with an ethnic group is part of the racist fringe. :thumbsup:
Indeed.  You get this in the UK too.  The BNP say they just want to defend 'ethnic whites' because even among fascists it's not cool to be too open in your racism.

QuoteHow generous of the French.  They allowed other ethnic groups in their borders to keep their stories and dances!

How exactly do you reach the "you're French and that's that.", level?
What do you mean by this?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:09:44 PM

By the same token, you could argue that the assassination of Martin Luther King and the segregation are a proof that "American" nationality is about being ethnically/racially white.  :rolleyes:

Really, how?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

So Sheilbh, what were you impressions of the occupy demonstrators you meet in London ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 02:05:37 PM

Shame about those Roma that were expelled a few years ago.  I guess it only really settled some time this year.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:09:44 PM

No, that would require an entirely different token.   :console: