Noble and Sensitive
3 (5.8%)
Jaron Will Not Be Wearing the Pants
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Monoriu

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2011, 09:41:17 AM
it's only harmless until he starts killing people to "see what it's liek to be a seriel killer" :contract:

Gonna be a bit hard chasing victims while tap-tapping along pretending to be blind.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on December 20, 2011, 09:48:55 AM
it's only harmless until he starts killing people to "see what it's liek to be a seriel killer" :contract:

Gonna be a bit hard chasing victims while tap-tapping along pretending to be blind.  ;)
No one ever suspects the blind man of being a killer ;) it's the perfect alibi :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2011, 09:51:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 20, 2011, 09:48:55 AM

No one ever suspects the blind man of being a killer ;) it's the perfect alibi :lol:

The real blind man, no. Lettice, with all his bizzare obsessions OTOH ...  :hmm: :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maximus on December 19, 2011, 11:09:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2011, 09:35:56 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 19, 2011, 09:29:16 PM
You know I didn't follow these forums much for years, but when I used to a lot more closely I remember lettow was just a super weird kid. It's obviously the case he is a full blown mental case now, with guaranteed severe personality disorder and almost certainly mental illness now as well.

When did this fascinating change happen?

I think Jaron's just after attention & you guys are being played.
fixed

The problem with the sock puppet hypothesis is that if true - the joke is on them, because no gag is worth this level of effort (not to mention all those sonnets).  Besides this is a bit too strange to be anything else other than true.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 20, 2011, 06:39:00 AM
I am mortified at the hurtful things I did to others as a high school student, particularly people I was supposed to care about. I have nothing to be proud about regarding foolish racist statements as well. In general, I've gradually distanced myself from fanatical nationalism. 

If the tradeoff for this is ersatz blindness, I vote harmless.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 20, 2011, 10:17:58 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on December 20, 2011, 06:39:00 AM
I am mortified at the hurtful things I did to others as a high school student, particularly people I was supposed to care about. I have nothing to be proud about regarding foolish racist statements as well. In general, I've gradually distanced myself from fanatical nationalism. 

If the tradeoff for this is ersatz blindness, I vote harmless.
the only way to truly make it up to the black people you harmed with your words is to walk a mile in their shoes to see how they feel. To that end i recommend going in black face for a week. preferably in a black neighborhood to get the real experience.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Lettow77

I never harmed any black people, though! That's the good part of self-segregation- it was only white people I consistently offended.

I remember back in high school there were numerous black kids who called me confederate and greeted me enthusiastically whenever they saw me. My secessionist proclivities were widely known, but nobody ever took that as a racial attack in any way. ISS was my favourite class, and it was more or less entirely black.

Edit: The ISS monitor told me I was hard, and shook my hand :blush:
He silenced the disgusted and delighted cries of the class when I requested permission to eat out of the garbage, telling me to go right on ahead, and as I ate some delicious pizza he informed the class they were all weekend gangsters who sit on their hands on monday mornings and didn't know what it was like to come from the wrong side of the tracks, and that I was a junk-yard dog and would do what I wanted to do. I just wanted to eat something, and it was such a colossal waste as it was!
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2011, 10:21:04 AM
the only way to truly make it up to the black people you harmed with your words is to walk a mile in their shoes to see how they feel. To that end i recommend going in black face for a week. preferably in a black neighborhood to get the real experience.

Seconded.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

I'm not actually diagnosing anyone with a personality disorder or mental illness, but I've seen it before and I know the DSM-IV pretty well.

What I am saying is lettow needs a great deal of attention with someone licensed to make such a diagnosis.

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 20, 2011, 10:16:10 AM
Quote from: Maximus on December 19, 2011, 11:09:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2011, 09:35:56 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 19, 2011, 09:29:16 PM
You know I didn't follow these forums much for years, but when I used to a lot more closely I remember lettow was just a super weird kid. It's obviously the case he is a full blown mental case now, with guaranteed severe personality disorder and almost certainly mental illness now as well.

When did this fascinating change happen?

I think Jaron's just after attention & you guys are being played.
fixed

The problem with the sock puppet hypothesis is that if true - the joke is on them, because no gag is worth this level of effort (not to mention all those sonnets).  Besides this is a bit too strange to be anything else other than true.

He must be the most elaborate sockpuppet ever, what with a facebook profile complete with a pic and posts and whatnot.

DGuller

Malthus

I vote not a sock.

Lettuce, though perhaps crazy as a bedbug, has a distinctive literary style. 

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2011, 07:38:43 PM
He's doing his best to out crazy me.
Ever eat from a trash can during class? No? You lose.

Lettow77

I absolutely have to clarify. It wasn't trash, just on account of being in the trash!

The ISS monitor was rightfully widely regarded, so somebody knocked on the door and offered him an entire pizza. With great relish, he opened the pizza and took a large bite from one slice, eating about half of it in one go. He made loud sounds of appreciation, and then, reflecting that he never could finish a pizza, he tossed the entire remainder in the trash over the protests of the class.

I hadn't eaten much in the last few days at the time, and I could scarcely stand by and watch the pizza go to waste. It was delicious. High school trash bins are mostly just paper anyway, right?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'