3 (5.8%)
Jaron Will Not Be Wearing the Pants
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Maximus

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on December 19, 2011, 05:57:00 PM
que

Lettuce has been walking around some part of Tennessee with a cane and glasses.  People are split on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Lettuce, have you been blindfolding yourself too?  I didn't catch that.

Lettow77

Lettuce doesn't have glasses. It isn't my intent to appear to be blind to others- it is my intent to be blind. I just close my eyes. I have been considering getting a blindfold to make it more obvious I am not a proper blind person, in fact, but I don't have a blindfold, nor any real capacity with tying. It hasn't really come up, in any event.

Abstained from voting, for obvious reasons, although I suppose i'm interested in the results.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

WTF do you mean "real capacity for tying"?  You don't know how to tie a knot?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

They have those big fake pregnant bellies for men to wear so they "know how it feels". Whatever. It's harmless.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Lettow77

Um, it's embarrassing to say, but I didn't really learn how to tie shoes for quite awhile. I can do it, but I can't make it look very presentable, and it's a hassle, you know? I wear flip-flops everywhere. Recently my roommate's family was concerned about my health and got me some shoes- sensitive to my shortcomings, they are not shoes you tie.

So now my feet are warm, which has made winter more fun to be outside in.

(I think I have some other shoes I got from my father somewhere.)

I don't like tying things. I'm not good at it; like my handwriting, its an embarrassing thing that I find very crude and indicative of an appalling lack of culture and upbringing, but there is only so much I can do about it.

I take your claim that i'm not right in the head slightly more seriously than I would have in the past- I don't think i'm crazy, but I've felt unwell often lately. Just megrims and the malaise, is all. I have plans for the future, but it's nothing amazing. I want to get my sonnet project done.

MadImmortalMan

Pretending to be blind--no big deal.

Wearing flip-flops--unforgivable.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2011, 06:45:14 PM
It's wrong.

Precisely. Besides, he himself called it "recreational blindness", IIRC, which strikes me as somehow fetishistic in nature, something of which he has made already many mentions.

It's just one more sign of him not being right in the head.

Habbaku

Total dick move.

Go get an amputation so you can "fake" being crippled.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2011, 06:09:29 PM
WTF do you mean "real capacity for tying"?  You don't know how to tie a knot?

You just had to take the bait.   :mad:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Lettow77

It is indeed something I do primarily for my own pleasure. I don't think it enables me to understand the world of the blind very much- I can see if I need to, although I've kept my eyes closed at times I would've been very advised to open them. I just enjoy it. It lets me think differently and more carefully. Lately something i've been trying to promote is slowness with everything- I don't want to hurry through anything, and blindness puts me in the mindset of going slowly and considering everything rather effectively. There are other considerations as well that lead me to enjoy it.  It feels a welcome disconnect with the rest of the world- a sort of severance. Today when Wendys had unpleasant things that would normally have weighed me down, they were shut out of mind in a way that I would've had difficulty with typically.

I regret that my beloved roommate didn't support the idea at all, and was torn for several days about my decision to get a cane. I skinned myself up one time when stairs jumped out at me though, and that wouldn't have happened had I had a cane (and indeed, hasn't happened since), so I figured if it was something I enjoyed, I may as well indulge it- it is the christmas gift I am getting myself for the holidays. I do not anticipate this hobby to be permanent- there are several strong pulls to cease doing it before school starts up again. The idea of someone helping me on the assumption that I am blind does embarrass me. The idea of someone interacting with me in any but the most perfunctory manner embarrasses me. It is monday night- in two days a man will come in to clean the bathroom, and I dread that contact, although he is rather friendly. 

I have actually considered sincere blindness, but it feels immoral and imprudent to blind myself at this time. I have things I want/need to do, any they require vision. I do not rule out the possibility in the future, but such an action is irreversible and calls for an enormous amount of caution and consideration- presumably I would only ever blind myself if I reached a point in life where I did not anticipate needing vision in the future. Due to the narrow band of times when this would be the case, it is highly unlikely I will blind myself. Additionally, I am unwilling to be an imposition on others to the degree that I would become without any vision. I don't want to require a handler- I want to live without anyone resenting a need to care for me. I am set to be able to do this, but that's impossible for a blind person. So in short, blindness is something I consider with fascination, but it only has application as something I indulge.

Neil

It's no worse than other weird things that some people do, such as being gay or going to protests.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.