Any way for the Germans to win the Eastern front?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2011, 12:53:54 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2011, 11:39:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2011, 11:17:37 PM

Surely a war between just Germany and Britain is far closer to "winning" than a war against both Britain and Russia.  And if you take it further, that Britain peace's out too, what inhibitions could Japan then possibly have?
Well the Brits would be able to concentrate their whole strength against the Japanese, and why would Germany desire to restart a conflict with Britain now that they're preparing for a massive campaign against the USSR?

So Barbarossa get's pushed back to '42 or 43'?

- Germany invades a much better prepared USSR, lets say in May '42.
- Germany will still probably do well enough initially that Japan goes all-out in December '42.
- Britain comes back into the war now that the USSR and the USA are in it.
- WW2 turns out the same way it did originally, just maybe ending a year or two later.

Pretty much. And this is why strategic WW2 what-ifs are so boring. You had Nazi Germany, and Asstard Japan with their own questionable motivations on the world stage, but motivations which were the very foundation and reason for existence of the governing forces in the countries. And you had ALL the other major powers who wanted one or both to go. They wanted this for different reasons perhaps, sure, but they wanted it.

The ideology and internal political needs put the Axis countries on an unavoidable collision course with countries whose combined strength far outweighted their own. The only what-if regarding WW2, is how much more or less time and casualities it had taken to get to the same result. The result was inevitable.

If you want to contemplate what-ifs which had a reasonable chance at changing the world compared to what we have today, look at WW1.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2011, 03:17:05 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2011, 02:50:49 AM
Trench warfare is sooooo boring.

The participants found it exciting enough.
Not sure why, but that literally made me laugh out loud!  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2011, 10:40:56 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2011, 10:38:47 PM
Why would they be forced to suspend operations for an attack that's 5 years away?
Weren't they going to run out of oil within months?

Yeah, pretty much.  They were really starting to feel the pinch of the US oil embargo (and the price the US wanted to lift the embargo was essentially a return to the pre-1937 status quo in China).  They weren't directly interested in any US territory as a source of oil--they wanted the Dutch East Indies for that--but they felt that they had to kick the US out of the Philippines and the British out of Malaysia in order to secure their supply lines to Indonesia.  Considerations of what was going on in Europe didn't really play any part of their calculations.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 20, 2011, 08:19:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2011, 07:21:14 AM
Anyway, the cooler question to answer, besides if there were any real way for the Germans to win (which there wasn't), would be: what if Stalin's plan for his own eventual attack got the drop on Hitler and the Soviets pushed east first in late summer of 1941?

Interesting. Are the Germans in the midsts of their Barbarossa build-up when Stalin gets froggy?

We know Stalin was adamant on Timo and Zhuk drawing up pre-emptive invasion plans against Hitler, advancing from a possible 42 kickoff to as early as late summer 41;  so, say that Germans maintained their eastern presence without the Barbarossa build-up, but weren't necessarily preparing for Sea Lion, either.

Is the 1941 Red Army, stuck between undoing its original defensive borders prior to partition of Poland, and not yet fully deployed defensively in the newly acquired territories, prepared enough for offensive operations for seizing the rest of Poland and other locales?  Do the Germans stonewall the patriotic hordes of workers and pheasants?

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2011, 06:32:56 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 20, 2011, 08:19:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2011, 07:21:14 AM
Anyway, the cooler question to answer, besides if there were any real way for the Germans to win (which there wasn't), would be: what if Stalin's plan for his own eventual attack got the drop on Hitler and the Soviets pushed east first in late summer of 1941?

Interesting. Are the Germans in the midsts of their Barbarossa build-up when Stalin gets froggy?

We know Stalin was adamant on Timo and Zhuk drawing up pre-emptive invasion plans against Hitler, advancing from a possible 42 kickoff to as early as late summer 41;  so, say that Germans maintained their eastern presence without the Barbarossa build-up, but weren't necessarily preparing for Sea Lion, either.

Is the 1941 Red Army, stuck between undoing its original defensive borders prior to partition of Poland, and not yet fully deployed defensively in the newly acquired territories, prepared enough for offensive operations for seizing the rest of Poland and other locales?  Do the Germans stonewall the patriotic hordes of workers and pheasants?

It's hard to get past the Russian tactical and operation ineptness this early in the game. They may have got some gains, but would have got their asses kicked by a veteran Wehrmacht.

Alcibiades

Found this  today, reminded me of this thread so thought I'd pop it in here.

http://www.rodvik.com/rodgames/STAVKA-OKH.html

Do it better on the Eastern Front as the OKH or Stavka, or something.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 21, 2011, 04:02:32 PM
Found this  today, reminded me of this thread so thought I'd pop it in here.

http://www.rodvik.com/rodgames/STAVKA-OKH.html

Do it better on the Eastern Front as the OKH or Stavka, or something.

Neat.  I won the war and succeeded Hitler as leader.  Europe is mine!  Made the final push in the autumn of 1945.  Only cost 26,219,516 lives.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2011, 08:21:00 PM
That game helps with my murder boner.

Fucking Wimbledon match helps your murder boner.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2011, 08:21:00 PM
That game helps with my murder boner.

For a murder boners lasting more then six hours see your physician immediately.