Any way for the Germans to win the Eastern front?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Aside from being unrealistically nice to the Soviet population (we are talking about Nazis here), was there anything they could have done to win the war? My impression is no, but there a many people here who know more about the situation than I.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Only by sucking up to the Ukrainians I guess, but as you said, the nazis were, well, nazis. The German's drive was their idea of supremacy, they had no patience for the untermensch. Look at WW1 occupation in Belgium for a prime example.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Taking Moscow on the first try would have helped.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2011, 08:22:26 AM
Only by sucking up to the Ukrainians I guess, but as you said, the nazis were, well, nazis. The German's drive was their idea of supremacy, they had no patience for the untermensch. Look at WW1 occupation in Belgium for a prime example.

I thought they were very patient with Hungary.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2011, 08:28:03 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2011, 08:22:26 AM

I thought they were very patient with Hungary.

:moon:

yeah, until we kept sucking their dicks. But then Horthy didn't want to swallow so they moved in. Luckily for them, our army was full of nazis as well so we kept fighting on their side.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2011, 08:27:52 AM

Yep.  Might not have won the war but certainly would not have hurt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2011, 08:51:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2011, 08:27:52 AM

Yep.  Might not have won the war but certainly would not have hurt.
Ok, but how do they do that? Weren't they basically forced to halt their central thrust towards Moscow because of logistical constraints? The turn south turned out pretty well for them didn't it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2011, 08:55:21 AM
Ok, but how do they do that? Weren't they basically forced to halt their central thrust towards Moscow because of logistical constraints? The turn south turned out pretty well for them didn't it?

I was not aware it was because of logistical constraints, but strategic ones.  And all it may have taken is having their army equipt for winter action.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2011, 09:12:02 AM

Better coats.

Maybe some anti-freeze.

For an army renown for its management of the details they sure wiffed on that one.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2011, 09:00:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2011, 08:55:21 AM

I was not aware it was because of logistical constraints, but strategic ones.  And all it may have taken is having their army equipt for winter action.

Or invading earlier. If Germany started the invasion even a few weeks earlier, they could have arrived much closer to Moscow before the autumn rains started. The original invasion date was in may, IIRC, and it was delayed because of the Balkans campaign. Also, once the invasion began the army group aiming for Moscow was at some point diverted southwards to support the campaign in Ukraine, which delayed their advance towards Moscow.

Also, the nazis had no problem justifying the cuddling of slavic populations when it suited their needs, so they could have done the same in Ukraine if they wanted.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2011, 08:22:04 AM
Making peace with Britain in early 1941.

And start the attack in early may as original planned. Il Duce just have to learn how deal with the Greeks the hard way...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers