Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2009, 02:07:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 01:46:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2009, 01:41:09 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 13, 2009, 01:04:32 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on March 12, 2009, 10:56:13 PM
Martinus and I are the most left-wing people on Languish.  :o

Marty's not nearly as left-wing as that. His hatred of everything evangelical and constant focus on gay issues overshadows his other views.
How do you know what I am for and against? I'm for regulation to protect consumers, the environment and employees; I'm for universal healthcare; I'm against invigilation of citizens and torture (I have always argued against Gitmo) to "combat terrorism", etc. etc.

.... and you're a corporate lawyer which puts you deep in conservitard territory.
I work in regulatory law, the purpose of which is to curb the excesses of unrestrained, free market, though. :p

... but for corporations whose interest is to get the most out of those laws.   :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2009, 10:11:29 PM
If FunkMonk married a girl from Topeka their kids would be FlipTopCans.  HAR HAR HAR.

Don't ruin my chances.  :-[
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Quote from: Marty

How do you know what I am for and against? I'm for regulation to protect consumers, the environment and employees; I'm for universal healthcare; I'm against invigilation of citizens and torture (I have always argued against Gitmo) to "combat terrorism", etc. etc.

Ahhh, yet another example of how a lie repeated often enough can become accepted truth.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: dps on March 12, 2009, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 02:19:40 PM
282, a score that would be lower but for the frequent use of "always" and other "loading" terms in some of the pro-conservative statements. Of course, I'm always going to land on the progressive side of things if for no other reason than that modern conservativism holds what I do for a living in contempt.

Uh, I've lost track.  What is it you do for a living now?  Speaking as a conservative, I'm not sure that there's any profession that I hold in contempt per se.

I got 106, by the way.

Sex industry worker?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

292/400: Crypto-commie.

Would have been higher if some questions made more sense. The energy policy one in particular was terrible.
I'm all for phasing out coal, but gas needs to stay as peak or backup supply. Solar is an unmitigated disaster unless you are far, far away from the grid (which should prompt you to move) and wind has severe technical limitations.

So how the Hell am I supposed to respond to that question? And where is nuclear?

dps

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 02:19:40 PM
282, a score that would be lower but for the frequent use of "always" and other "loading" terms in some of the pro-conservative statements. Of course, I'm always going to land on the progressive side of things if for no other reason than that modern conservativism holds what I do for a living in contempt.

Uh, I've lost track.  What is it you do for a living now?  Speaking as a conservative, I'm not sure that there's any profession that I hold in contempt per se.

I got 106, by the way.

Sex industry worker?  ;)
[/quote]

Nah, I don't think that's what Vinnies's doing now.  But like I said, I lost track, so maybe. 

Malthus

Quote from: dps on March 13, 2009, 08:50:50 AM

Nah, I don't think that's what Vinnies's doing now.  But like I said, I lost track, so maybe.

Probably not.  ;D Though it would be one answer to "what profession do conservatives generally hold in contempt".

I'm thinking the real answer is something rather more along the lines of science.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote"what profession do conservatives generally hold in contempt"

The press
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

He's in the astrosciences.  Cosmology, I think (although that might have been Hamilcar).

Still, it's important not to confuse literalist Protestantism with conservatism.  Sure, there's lots of crossover between the two, but there are millions of conservatives who think that radiometric dating is A-OK and that there's no way that Noah's flood was a literal, global event.

Look at me.  I take conservative positions like being pro-death penalty, harsh prison sentences and anti-drug.  While I believe that a social safety net is useful and important, I also believe that it's important that it be focused on getting people working.  I'm fond of balanced budgets under most situations.  I support socialized medicine and health insurance supported by a robust network of private clinics and facilities, covered by supplementary, privately-supplied insurance.  I think that it is more important for schools to educate than to socialize.  I think it's important to protect the environment, but that this protection must also be balanced by economic growth.  I believe in crushing our enemies whereever they might hide, without worrying about whether doing so makes us worse than they are.  And I believe that science is far and away the best framework we have availible to understand our universe, and that education in the sciences is critical if we plan on having democracies.

I am a conservative atheist, and I'm wise beyond anyone's ability to match me.  All should just obey me, and the world would be worth living in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 09:26:51 AM
He's in the astrosciences.  Cosmology, I think (although that might have been Hamilcar).

Yeah, I seriously doubt most conservatives have strong feelings either way about that stuff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2009, 09:30:26 AM

Yeah, I seriously doubt most conservatives have strong feelings either way about that stuff.
Perhaps, but every literalist Christian does. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHh9ywmo5AE

That woman there has problems with the Big Bang theory.  Dark-sided, and whatnot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2009, 09:30:26 AM

Dude, go to the creationist museum. It is hilarious. Worth the 20 buck entry fee.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 09:32:31 AM

Perhaps, but every literalist Christian does. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHh9ywmo5AE

That woman there has problems with the Big Bang theory.  Dark-sided, and whatnot.

Even so, I don't think Vinnie has to worry about being pelted with stones if they find out what he does for a living.  It's not like he's an abortion doctor, adult bookstore owner, or gay rodeo participant.

He's not any of those, right?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Look at me.  I take conservative positions like being pro-death penalty, harsh prison sentences and anti-drug.  While I believe that a social safety net is useful and important, I also believe that it's important that it be focused on getting people working.  I'm fond of balanced budgets under most situations.  I support socialized medicine and health insurance supported by a robust network of private clinics and facilities, covered by supplementary, privately-supplied insurance.  I think that it is more important for schools to educate than to socialize.  I think it's important to protect the environment, but that this protection must also be balanced by economic growth.  I believe in crushing our enemies whereever they might hide, without worrying about whether doing so makes us worse than they are.  And I believe that science is far and away the best framework we have availible to understand our universe, and that education in the sciences is critical if we plan on having democracies.

Neil, he's a great Canadian. :cheers:  8)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.