News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Progressive Are You?

Started by Fireblade, March 12, 2009, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 03:24:42 PM
Agreed.  That's not his intent, however.

No, but the point is that "gay" isn't really something you can evangelize. People are attracted to members of the same sex or they aren't. Those that are shouldn't be shamed into behaving against their natural predilections, those who aren't can't really be swayed to turn. Is there any advertising on Earth that would make you suddenly think "hmm, maybe I should go fuck some guys?"

FunkMonk

239/400. I am Progressive. I don't feel like it though. I've always thought of myself as center-right. I think the questions on religion tipped it heavily the other way. If not for those it would probably say I'm a Fascist pigdog.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 04:35:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 03:24:42 PM
Agreed.  That's not his intent, however.

No, but the point is that "gay" isn't really something you can evangelize. People are attracted to members of the same sex or they aren't. Those that are shouldn't be shamed into behaving against their natural predilections, those who aren't can't really be swayed to turn. Is there any advertising on Earth that would make you suddenly think "hmm, maybe I should go fuck some guys?"

If you distill it all the way down to just sexual preference, then yeah, you're right.  But that's not what I was talking about. 

The only point I was trying to make was that "acceptance" is a vague term.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 04:40:32 PM

Agreed.  "Acceptance" in that context could merely mean that it is not criminalized (as it was, and still is in some countries).  Or does acceptance mean that you can not discriminate based on sexual orintation?  Or does it mean full recognition of gay marriage?

Based on what you mean by "acceptance" I would either support it or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 04:35:13 PM

Perhaps but I could totally see someone who is gay who might think "hmm, maybe I should go have sex with women." In fact, I'd say that many gays have thought that at some point in their lives.  But of course, that's not because of advertising, but evangelism does play a role.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I couldn't be arsed to take the quiz; but I listen to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and King Crimson a lot...so that makes me really progressive.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Josephus on March 12, 2009, 04:53:31 PM
I couldn't be arsed to take the quiz; but I listen to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and King Crimson a lot...so that makes me really progressive.  ;)

8)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2009, 04:54:46 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 12, 2009, 04:53:31 PM

8)

And Rush too.  ;D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

schaksen

Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Martinus

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 03:08:32 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 03:02:19 PM
Actually, I think it's just too vague.  "Acceptance" can mean anything from allowing it to happen/exist to outright promotion of it, depending on whom you ask.

:D What exactly does "outright promotion" of gaydom look like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaszN9ByxM

garbon

I have a dream that one day, people across the world will know how to quote properly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 04:45:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 04:40:32 PM

Agreed.  "Acceptance" in that context could merely mean that it is not criminalized (as it was, and still is in some countries).  Or does acceptance mean that you can not discriminate based on sexual orintation?  Or does it mean full recognition of gay marriage?

Based on what you mean by "acceptance" I would either support it or not.
It's alright. I don't "accept" your lifestyle either.

Cerr