News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Progressive Are You?

Started by Fireblade, March 12, 2009, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 02:19:40 PM
282, a score that would be lower but for the frequent use of "always" and other "loading" terms in some of the pro-conservative statements. Of course, I'm always going to land on the progressive side of things if for no other reason than that modern conservativism holds what I do for a living in contempt.

Yes, and hardly any of even the most conservative religious people would answer they "agree" to the statement "Homosexuality is unnatural and should not be accepted by society."

They might agree to no marriage or something, but not that. The questions are worded in such a way that you get a higher score.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

I bet I would be 250+ if they didn't have the loaded question about Iraq/war.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2009, 02:52:59 PM
Yes, and hardly any of even the most conservative religious people would answer they "agree" to the statement "Homosexuality is unnatural and should not be accepted by society."

:shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2009, 02:52:59 PM
Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 02:19:40 PM
282, a score that would be lower but for the frequent use of "always" and other "loading" terms in some of the pro-conservative statements. Of course, I'm always going to land on the progressive side of things if for no other reason than that modern conservativism holds what I do for a living in contempt.

They might agree to no marriage or something, but not that. The questions are worded in such a way that you get a higher score.

Actually, I think it's just too vague.  "Acceptance" can mean anything from allowing it to happen/exist to outright promotion of it, depending on whom you ask.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I don't know. After reading Marti's posts for the last year, I'd be hitting "Strongly agree" on that suppressing the homo question.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

JacobL

170/400

Some fairly silly questions in there.  The economic ways generally did it, most actual social questions were roughly neutral so it "sunk" my score. :D

vinraith

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 03:02:19 PM
Actually, I think it's just too vague.  "Acceptance" can mean anything from allowing it to happen/exist to outright promotion of it, depending on whom you ask.

:D What exactly does "outright promotion" of gaydom look like?

derspiess

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 03:08:32 PM

Have you met Martinus? ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

vinraith

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 03:13:32 PM

For reasons already stated, Marty is one of the greatest allies that opponents to homosexuality could ever have.

derspiess

Quote from: vinraith on March 12, 2009, 03:15:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 03:13:32 PM

For reasons already stated, Marty is one of the greatest allies that opponents to homosexuality could ever have.

Agreed.  That's not his intent, however.

garbon

Marty doesn't really promote homosexuality though.  He promotes the trite stereotypical conventions associated with it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Jeez, anyone notice any loaded questions?

Neil

Freddy Mercury.  You see him, and you're like "Oh, gays are cool and talented and not so bad after all."

Then Martinus comes along and before you know it you're herding them into cattle cars.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 03:39:27 PM
Freddy Mercury.  You see him, and you're like "Oh, gays are cool and talented and not so bad after all."

Then Martinus comes along and before you know it you're herding them into cattle cars.

;D ;D ;D
and the horse you rode in on

Mikael Hakim