And we're back!

Main Menu

How Progressive Are You?

Started by Fireblade, March 12, 2009, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2009, 01:10:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2009, 01:04:05 PM
I love you.
:-*

Do you know what it feels like to say "I love you" to someone and not hear it back? I do. :'(

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2009, 01:12:58 PM
I love you.

Do you know what it feels like to say "I love you" to someone and not hear it back? I do. :'(

Is "bah" or "moo" not an equivalent substitute?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 11:07:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 09:59:43 AM
215/400

Some of those things were bizarre.  Are Conservatives really convinced that Oil and Coal are great and we should NOT move to alternative fuels?

IIRC, the way the question was worded, it made it sound as if solar and wind power are our only alternatives to not using fossil fuels.  I put myself down as strongly disagreeing-- neither solar nor wind power are proven alternatives yet. 

IMO if you agreed with the statement, you were in favor of crippling the economy further and/or seriously distorting the market.

So for me, for now, fossil fuels FTW.

The market is already distorted in favor of fossil fuels through decades of directed foreign policy and subsidization.  I do not understand why this sort of distortion is praised by free market types but anything that throws a tiny bone at anything else is bad distortion.  If it were a free market we would have gone to alternatives long ago. 

But anyway certainly solar and wind cannot do the job all by themselves for the forseeable future, by their very nature they can only act as a supplement and can only become useful on a large scale with a 'smart grid' that can adjust for variable energy sources.  Unless some sort of remarkable advance is made in energy storage, of course.

I am not sure what you mean by "proven" I was not aware of evidence that suggested the energy produced by a wind turbine was not the same as energy produced by coal burning.  I am pretty sure both are very "proven" sources of electricity.

Finally, you are probably right and it was a misleading question.  Typical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 12, 2009, 12:48:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 09:59:43 AM
215/400

Some of those things were bizarre.  Are Conservatives really convinced that Oil and Coal are great and we should NOT move to alternative fuels?
Questionnaires like this are problematic, or misleading. Probably not many people feel the future is mainly fossil fuels. The choice here probably shouldn't between remaining on fossil fuels OR moving to other alternatives. We actually need to be doing both while we decide on how to move forward the changes, and what those changes are. Kind of misleading to present the question like it was. Probably the same for some other questions. But over all this wasn't a bad poll, and made me think on some of the questions. I've seen worse, often in polls mailed out to me that pushes a particular agenda. I've even responded to some of them on how useless or misleading their questions were.

Yeah this is what makes following politics so frustrating.  You literally cannot trust anything to give you decent facts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2009, 01:16:08 PM
I love you.

I for one consider half black gay men to be more than beasts.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2009, 01:30:57 PM
I love you.

Mistake.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Anyway, we need more nuclear power.

Syt

I love you.

More than beasts? Monsters?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Yes, but more what?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2009, 01:33:59 PM
I love you.

More than beasts? Monsters?

Monsters do not exist. Outside Ohio.

Valmy