Long Term Friendships With Those Of Your Sexual Preference ?

Started by mongers, December 14, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 05:12:02 PM
That's what they call one-hour martinizing.

This is like a totally over-the-top situation that probably involves Nazis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 05:14:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 05:10:48 PM
That never happened to me, indeed thinking about it, I seemed to have been kept away from their female friends.   :hmm:

Me neither.  My friends were not very helpful in that department.

:console:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 05:15:40 PM

But they were always handy with things like 'Any woman would be lucky to have you!  Pity all my friends are gay/dudes/taken.'  Damn them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 05:15:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 05:12:02 PM
That's what they call one-hour martinizing.

This is like a totally over-the-top situation that probably involves Nazis.

What new [consumer item] should I get?  I can buy ten of them and not even feel it, you know.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

I have a couple of female friends who are long term friends. We don't see each other that much these days but we're still good friends. There were periods where there was a bit of sexual tension component to our friendship, but not too much and it's pretty far in the past now.

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 04:40:35 PM
It's certainly possible, although it's mildly uncomfortable unless I'm getting regular sex and if the woman is less attractive than my regular sexual partner.  Not a particularly enlightened thing to say, I suppose, but if I like a person, and they are female, it follows naturally and logically that I would want to fuck them/date them/what have you.

Ditto-- with the addition that if she is less attractive, then I get concerned about her being attracted to me. 

So I guess effectively the answer is "no" for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2011, 05:26:25 PM
I have a couple of female friends who are long term friends. We don't see each other that much these days but we're still good friends. There were periods where there was a bit of sexual tension component to our friendship, but not too much and it's pretty far in the past now.

Interesting.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 05:16:39 PM

But they were always handy with things like 'Any woman would be lucky to have you!  Pity all my friends are gay/dudes/taken.'  Damn them.

You know I think I'm going to go out on a limb and say in your situation, I think it sounds like they enjoy/ed your 'male company or attention' too much to risk having it curtailed by them finding you a date or long term partner.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2011, 05:27:47 PM
It's certainly possible, although it's mildly uncomfortable unless I'm getting regular sex and if the woman is less attractive than my regular sexual partner.  Not a particularly enlightened thing to say, I suppose, but if I like a person, and they are female, it follows naturally and logically that I would want to fuck them/date them/what have you.

Ditto-- with the addition that if she is less attractive, then I get concerned about her being attracted to me. 

Actually, I'll qualify that.  I'm not a particularly envious fellow (:hmm:), so "if my SO is fully attractive," I suppose even a more attractive female friend might not bother me.  However, the boredom/sameness--let alone decreased sexual frequency--of later stages of relationships (unavoidable? certainly it violates no law of physics to avoid it, no matter how analogous it may be to entropy :P) may make this less covetous-sounding reformulation unworkable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 05:30:26 PM

You know I think I'm going to go out on a limb and say in your situation, I think it sounds like they enjoy/ed your 'male company or attention' too much to risk having it curtailed by them finding you a date or long term partner.

More likely, they worry that by setting two friends up, you end up losing one or both if the relationship goes badly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 05:32:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2011, 05:27:47 PM

Actually, I'll qualify that.  I'm not a particularly envious fellow (:hmm:), so "if my SO is fully attractive," I suppose even a more attractive female friend might not bother me.  However, the boredom/sameness--let alone decreased sexual frequency--of later stages of relationships (unavoidable? certainly it violates no law of physics to avoid it, no matter how analogous it may be to entropy :P) may make this less covetous-sounding reformulation unworkable.

And this time in English please.

HVC

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 05:10:48 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 05:04:06 PM
Man since coming out of the closet valmy has become angry :P

No real difference. Just that it's more annoying hearing them complain about relationships then my male friends. As a bonus chicks will set you up with hot friends. Guys will not since they want to do said hot friends.

:blink:

They do ?

That never happened to me, indeed thinking about it, I seemed to have been kept away from their female friends.   :hmm:

they think you're to good for their friends... Yeah, that's it :unsure: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 05:35:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 05:30:26 PM

More likely, they worry that by setting two friends up, you end up losing one or both if the relationship goes badly.

This implies the person has to take sides in any break up ?

edit:
Oh that reminds me, Malthus I need to pm/email you to ask you some advice about a political issues situation you might find rather interesting.

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 05:28:16 PMInteresting.

They were both colleagues at my last pre-career job. We spent several years seeing each other all day five days a week and spending all night drinking about five nights a week as well; it was more of a group thing but it was long enough and intense enough that friendships lasted long after we stopped working at the movie theatre.

With one of them, we almost always argued in that classical rom-com "destined to be together" kind of way (except I always thought she was joking when she was annoyed at me and just argued because I thought it was entertaining) and there was one month where I thought I had a bit of a crush on her. With the other one there was one drunken night of boundary crossing that we agreed to pretend never happened (and that she barely remembered, she had to ask me the details the next day).

Ultimately, however, we usually had other interests that were higher priority so we fitted fairly well into each other's "friend zones" as it were. The friendships developed out of long term association and shared social lives; some attraction followed, it wasn't really that strong when it was tested and was thus put by the wayside, but the friendship remained.

It's not necessarily typical, I don't think. There are plenty of female friends I haven't stayed in contact with. I expect that's because fundamentally there was unresolved or disappointed sexual attraction underneath it all.