Long Term Friendships With Those Of Your Sexual Preference ?

Started by mongers, December 14, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

How easy is it to sustain them in the long run ?

Personally I've had a golden rule that once a female friend enters into a serious / long term relationship or gets married, then I tend to make myself very scarce / exit stage left.

However it's not a actual golden rule as I've made two exceptions to it and yet in hindsight I think I should have applied it rigorously.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I have not noticed any differences really with my relationships with my male friends.  We rarely get to hang out because everybody is so busy in this phase of our lives.  But we are still friends.  I suspect as everybody's kids get older we will hang out more again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 04:35:36 PM
I have not noticed any differences really with my relationships with my male friends.  We rarely get to hang out because everybody is so busy in this phase of our lives.  But we are still friends.  I suspect as everybody's kids get older we will hang out more again.

Didn't know you fancied men.   :huh:

Ideologue

It's certainly possible, although it's mildly uncomfortable unless I'm getting regular sex and if the woman is less attractive than my regular sexual partner.  Not a particularly enlightened thing to say, I suppose, but if I like a person, and they are female, it follows naturally and logically that I would want to fuck them/date them/what have you.

Also, if no other impediments are present--like a preexisting relationship, she's gay, I'm physically unattractive in her eyes--if a person doesn't at least vaguely want to have sex with me, then can I really call them my friend?  They have judged my personality and character and found me defective in some fashion.  That's not a very good basis for genuine friendship.

Also: Valmy can't read, with amusing results. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 04:37:15 PM
Didn't know you fancied men.   :huh:

I don't.  That is why I specified there are no differences with my male friends.  If I fancied men I would say I didn't notice any differences between them and my female friends.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 04:40:35 PM

I guess I don't get it.

I was supposed to talk about how it was between me and my female friends right?  Well I did not notice any differences with my relationships with my male friends.  They have basically gone the same.

mongers

It's certainly possible, although it's mildly uncomfortable unless I'm getting regular sex and if the woman is less attractive than my regular sexual partner.  Not a particularly enlightened thing to say, I suppose, but if I like a person, and they are female, it follows naturally and logically that I would want to fuck them/date them/what have you.

Also, if no other impediments are present--like a preexisting relationship, she's gay, I'm physically unattractive in her eyes--if a person doesn't at least vaguely want to have sex with me, then can I really call them my friend?  They have judged my personality and character and found me defective in some fashion.  That's not a very good basis for genuine friendship.

Props for the honesty.  :)

For me I'm not so sure, I think it's entirely possible, but them having a long term partner I think can 'unbalance' the friendship in terms of mechanics of maintaining it.

I've certainly had one or two female friend of decades+ whom I didn't fancy at all. 

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 04:44:46 PM

I guess I don't get it.

I was supposed to talk about how it was between me and my female friends right?  Well I did not notice any differences with my relationships with my male friends.  They have basically gone the same.

With Those Of Your Sexual Preference.

Maximus

I guess I don't get it.
I'm guessing if you had said "I have not noticed any differences really from my relationships with my male friends" it would have been less confusing. As it was it could have gone either way.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 04:46:31 PM

Ok...so if I am straight I talk about my relationships with my female friends.

IT HAS GONE THE SAME AS IT HAS WITH MY MALE FRIENDS.  I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCES.

How saying that means I am gay I am not sure.

Ideologue

I guess I don't get it.

Oh, no differences between them and your male friends. :lol:

It makes more sense now. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 04:51:19 PM
My best friend for the past 25 years is a woman.

Oh, gawd.

Edit: oh, wait, I remember now; you didn't mean your wife. -_-
Kinemalogue

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 04:48:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2011, 04:46:31 PM

Ok...so if I am straight I talk about my relationships with my female friends.

IT HAS GONE THE SAME AS IT HAS WITH MY MALE FRIENDS.  I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCES.

How saying that means I am gay I am not sure.

:D

Interesting that we derail a thread dealing with feelings into one about comprehension issue, how typically Languish; all we need now is a dispute about a typo and debate about the semantics involved and I can lock the thread as complete :P

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2011, 04:47:07 PM
I'm guessing if you had said "I have not noticed any differences really from my relationships with my male friends" it would have been less confusing. As it was it could have gone either way.

But really if I was talking about dudes why would I specify that there were no differences with my male friends?  Differences from what?

But I guess with regards to what Ideologue was saying I wonder if it has something to do with having a sister.  I just sort of 'friend zone' women and it is no big deal.