News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Typhoon submarine photo gallery

Started by Alatriste, April 29, 2009, 06:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

More than a bit terrifying... I hope the thing is no longer in service but I can't read Russian!

http://community.livejournal.com/ru_submarine/17486.html

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I don't think any are in service anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Not a lot of plastic in a Soviet Submarine.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2009, 08:59:57 AM

They do apparently have plenty of rust though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alatriste

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2009, 08:59:57 AM

You noticed... I visited the country in 1989 and that was one of the things that surprised me, no plastic in sight anywhere: even soda vending machines used glass cups! That and the complete absence of electronics made one feel like a time traveller back in 1950.

@Neil, Raz
A quick search shows at least 'Dmitri Donskoi' is supposedly still in service, probably as a test bed for the new Bulava ICBM. The two Typhoon in the photos could be 'Severstal' and 'Arkhangelsk', listed as "in reserve awaiting possible modernization"...

Neil

Quote from: Alatriste on April 30, 2009, 01:20:27 AM
The two Typhoon in the photos could be 'Severstal' and 'Arkhangelsk', listed as "in reserve awaiting possible modernization"...
And with fossil fuel prices down, they'll be scrapped in short order as the Russian economy collapses.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Their armor is way superior to anything the US has.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

even soda vending machines used glass cups!

I remember seeing a documentary or news report in the 80s in which one of those machines was demonstrated.  There was just one glass that everyone had to drink from (not sure how they kept people from stealing the glass).  Before your soda came out, a brief squirt of warm water supposedly 'cleaned' the glass.  NO THANKS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2009, 01:42:08 PM
I remember seeing a documentary or news report in the 80s in which one of those machines was demonstrated.  There was just one glass that everyone had to drink from (not sure how they kept people from stealing the glass).  Before your soda came out, a brief squirt of warm water supposedly 'cleaned' the glass.  NO THANKS.

Ever read the story about how Dracula kept people from stealing the golden goblet that was used to draw well water?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2009, 02:29:55 PM

Ever read the story about how Dracula kept people from stealing the golden goblet that was used to draw well water?

He jacked off in it? :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Alatriste on April 30, 2009, 01:20:27 AM"in reserve awaiting possible modernization"...

Russian Navy code for "sank at the pier, repaint upon raising for possible sale" ?

DGuller

I can confirm this.  Apparently Soviets lagged behind 14th century Europe when it came to understanding the nature of infectuous diseases.

KRonn

NO... WAY.... This can't be true.    :huh:

I'm sure it was a squirt of vodka that cleaned the glass, not a squirt of water...    :cool: