News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Typhoon submarine photo gallery

Started by Alatriste, April 29, 2009, 06:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2009, 03:11:07 PM
I can confirm this.  Apparently Soviets lagged behind 14th century Europe when it came to understanding the nature of infectuous diseases.
Well, the Russian understanding of biology is way behind that of the civilized world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Here's a typical Soviet soda vending machine as I remember them from my childhood:

:mmm:

The Brain

I remember when I was in the Soviet Union they sold some soft drink in brown bottles all over the place. Wasn't bad but it didn't have a very strong taste.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2009, 04:32:00 PM
Here's a typical Soviet soda vending machine as I remember them from my childhood:

:mmm:

In Soviet Russia, the machine dispenses with you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Mindblowing.

Nothing like seing the rotten remains of the enemy's war machine.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 04:13:26 PM
I can confirm this.  Apparently Soviets lagged behind 14th century Europe when it came to understanding the nature of infectuous diseases.
Well, the Russian understanding of biology is way behind that of the civilized world.

Wasn't (some aspects of) medical science one of the few areas where the soviets were doing better?
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2009, 02:03:43 PM
Wasn't (some aspects of) medical science one of the few areas where the soviets were doing better?

I can't speak on medical science specifically; but in many areas of theoretical knowledge the Soviets led the western world.  Taking that knowledge from the lab to the real world was their problem.  For instance they were far ahead of us in telecommunication engineering theory; yet the telephone system they constructed was far inferior to the one that existed in the United States.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2009, 02:03:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 04:13:26 PM

Possibly.  However, their attempt to introduce dialectical materialism to genetics ensured that they were a generation or so behind the West in that particular area.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.