Canada to join Talebans in enforcing dress code on women

Started by viper37, December 13, 2011, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Why are you all planning to ditch French and join the rest of the world?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2011, 02:25:03 PM
I'd guess being in class once the bell has rung falls under rules of the school.
Same here...

I'd guess that such a requirement typically doesn't involved depriving people of their rights.
What is a right, what is an obligation?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 02:53:20 PM
Comme une yarmulke?  Ou une dastar, comme une Sikh porte pour satisfaire aux exigences de sa religion?
Les Sikhs se sont vu refuser l'entrée à l'Assemblée Nationale avec leur kirpan...
Sikh were barred from entering the National Assembly with their kirpans.

Mais pourquoi foutre de chapeaux?
?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: dps on December 14, 2011, 08:08:50 PM
Apparantly, you think that a school dress code should be part of Quebec provincial law.
Grumbler says that.  I never did.  I just said there are rules in schools where you can't keep your hat inside the classroom once the class has started.  In college&university, it depends on the teacher.  Generally speaking, they don't like it, and it's an absolute no for the exams.

As I said, not everything needs to be a law, but if people invoke their religious bullshit to impose their values on the rest of the society, then it often needs to be made law.

No one would invoke the right to religious freedom to start a fight in school.  Hence, no laws for that, only school rules.

The niqab is a symbol of cultural oppression.  As we have seen with the Shafia case, it's really not always a "choice" of the woman, especially the younger ones.  Though the medias may be very good at finding women claiming they do it on a voluntary basis, it's hard to imagine people moving from their country only to replicate their habits here.  The more women are covered from head to toes, the greater the social pressure. 

Hence, in public spaces like parliament, schools, tribunals, election booths, it should be forbidden.  There is a seperation between State and Church, I'd like to keep it for all religions, not just Christianity.  It's insane to remove a Christmas tree because some bozos decided it's anti-islam.  First, it starts with the veil, then it goes to insane shit like this. 

So, you stop it at the root.  Just like the Conservative government did, and I approve of this measure.  That'll just make me a Canadian Conservative nazi, so be it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:59:40 AM
Elaborate.
The fact has gone but it's still the legal position.  For example she doesn't dismiss Parliament except when advised by the PM, but she still dismisses and calls Parliament.  Similarly a lot of the government's powers are still technically royal prerogatives, they come straight from the monarch not from Parliament - for example going to war.

Now in a practical analysis the truth is none of that really comes from or adheres to the monarch as would be the case with an absolute monarch, but that's still the theory and law.

Similarly with this, she can't be her own subject so she's above British, Australian, Canadian.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2011, 09:47:45 PM
I'd guess that such a requirement typically doesn't involved depriving people of their rights.

I'm not really sure why you feel like you're the best at reaching into men's (well in this case women's) hearts.  Why are you so confident that these women must be adopted said veils because they are forced to and not because they choose to?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2011, 10:15:27 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2011, 09:47:45 PM

I'm not really sure why you feel like you're the best at reaching into men's (well in this case women's) hearts.  Why are you so confident that these women must be adopted said veils because they are forced to and not because they choose to?

Interestingly or not, the two or three veiled women I've talked to about this issue have said they choose to do it and that is was a political act/symbolic.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I think Philadelphia has a particularly large community of Black Muslims, but traveling from Phila. to Istanbul, it was weird to not see any women in full black chador, just generic color print headscarves.  (With the caveat of course that I didn't spend much time in the hardcore Anatolian working-class districts.)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 11:30:29 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 11:21:51 AM
Most important is the niqab/burqa  double standard. Even in a non secular and "multiculturalist" state such as Canada.
Québec got it right from the beginning.

I don't get why it is a "double standard" to require people to have their faces uncovered when necessary for purposes of identification, but not otherwise.  :hmm:

HVC has spent too much time in Anglo Canada. He's been corrupted :P

FYP
e.g his Portuguese skills suck though even his English leaves a lot to be desired.  :P

Ideologue

Quote from: Grallon on December 14, 2011, 09:00:27 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 03:10:11 PM
P.S. Merci pour parler francais avec mois.

Si jamais je demenage au Quebec, je peux etre invocque d'etre mechant pour les mususlmans aussi.  Comme, la liberte de religion est bon, mais bombarder est meillure.

If you're to speak French then haul your tight boy ass around here so we can practice.

I think I've aged out of the system, Gral.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2011, 09:49:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 02:53:20 PM
Comme une yarmulke?  Ou une dastar, comme une Sikh porte pour satisfaire aux exigences de sa religion?
Les Sikhs se sont vu refuser l'entrée à l'Assemblée Nationale avec leur kirpan...
Sikh were barred from entering the National Assembly with their kirpans.

C'est bien; ils sont des armes.  Et leurs turbans?

Mais pourquoi foutre de chapeaux?
?

Literally from English: "Porquoi donnez-vous une merde sur chapeaux?"  I thought I was using "foutre" right, but maybe not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

It's because foutre is a verb.

"But why give/to do/put of/the hats" is basically what you wrote.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

And this isn't fucking Rosetta Stone, Ideologue.   :mad:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue