Canada to join Talebans in enforcing dress code on women

Started by viper37, December 13, 2011, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

When Quebec asked a women to remove her niquab while attending class, we were Talebans:
But the case of Naema Ahmed is not about accommodation at all – it   is about the limits of tolerance, and in Quebec it is that which is   proving to be unreasonable)
[...]
It may be practiced in some Arab and west Asian countries, such as the  former Taliban regime in Afghanistan, but empowering state agents to  enforce dress codes and bar the education of women is hitherto unknown  in Canada
(Globe and Mail, March 2010)

But now that the Federal government is forcing women to remove their niquab while swearing their citizenship oath, I can't find the word "Taleban" anywhere in the Globe & Mail.
But Canada has the right to insist on confirming the identity of the  oath-taker (they need to know who is under the veil), and in insisting  that the oath be taken, audibly.
Globe and Mail, December 2011
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

different reasons. One is to confirm their identiry, the other is because quebec hates minorities ( :P ). This is dumb in any regard, it's the swearing in. So another person can wear a face covering, take it off after the oath, and yell out "aha! i tricked you, i'm a citizen now". Showing their face for tests and the like is different.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Ideologue

Fausse equivalence.

A l'ecole, elle passe chaque jour devoile.  Ici, elle replace le niqab sur le moment le ceremonie est terminee.  1000 heures > 1 heure.

("Devoile" might not be the right word, although literally it should be.  I am learning your Taliban ways.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Deux poids, deux mesures.

PS :The oath of citizenship – an oath to the Queen and her successors, and to obey the laws of Canada, and fulfill the duties of being a citizen –

As if the oath to a foreign monarch was not bad enough...

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 02:58:43 AM
she's not a foreign monarch. she's canada's monarch (in addition to the monarch of britan and a bunch of other places :P )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

I do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.

So help me ALLLLAHHHHHHH *boom*
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 07:06:41 AM
she's not a foreign monarch. she's canada's monarch (in addition to the monarch of britan and a bunch of other places :P )

Does she have Canadian citizenship ? :D

Drakken

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 07:19:46 AM

She has no citizenship, not even British citizenship, not even a driver's license as these and passports are signed in her name. How can she be her own subject?  :huh:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Drakken on December 14, 2011, 08:15:30 AM

She has no citizenship, not even British citizenship, not even a driver's license as these and passports are signed in her name. How can she be her own subject?  :huh:

Hence not Canadian ergo foreign monarch. I take it she's British though ;)

Neil

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:28:51 AM
A monarch should not be a citizen.  You republican weirdos are weird.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2011, 08:30:09 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:28:51 AM
A monarch should not be a citizen.  You republican weirdos are weird.

I don't have a problem considering her as British monarch, nice try.

Grey Fox

I don't understand why you think it's different for Britain then it is for Canada?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2011, 08:35:04 AM
I don't understand why you think it's different for Britain then it is for Canada?

Is she stateless or what? That's a leftist dream you know...