News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird British culture?

Started by Josquius, December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 09:49:32 AMBut seriously I have spent plenty of time in both countries and man British food is pretty bland. 
Tourists eat in the  wrong places.  There are entire chains in London who exist solely because tourists eat there.  Almost anywhere on Leicester Square for example.

I remember when the Champions League final was in Wembley last year.  I walked past Angus Steak House on Leicester Square, it was rammed with Barcelona fans, trying to enjoy their brown fibrous substance alleged to be from a cow.  Two minutes away, for exactly the same price, is Hawksmoor which is one of the best steak restaurants I've ever been to - including Argentina - and has a nice atmosphere.  It made me sad.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2011, 09:53:04 AMThere's good reasons for everything but I don't know what they are. Nor do I think Japanese kids do.
Small crowded urbanised islands.   I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I ate German food once in my life, at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  It was the most revolting thing I'd ever eaten, until I went to a Korean restaurant and was served a stew with an unshelled prawn in it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2011, 09:53:57 AM
Tourists eat in the  wrong places.  There are entire chains in London who exist solely because tourists eat there.  Almost anywhere on Leicester Square for example.

Hey the German wrong places were better than the British wrong places what can I say?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 09:54:49 AM
I ate German food once in my life, at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  It was the most revolting thing I'd ever eaten, until I went to a Korean restaurant and was served a stew with an unshelled prawn in it.

Love that authentic amusement park food.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

There *is* good British food. It is known as Indian food.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 10:07:08 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 09:54:49 AM

Love that authentic amusement park food.

Indeed.  Imagine how terrible the real thing must be, if the bastardized version sold to Americans is borderline inedible?

The Turnip Winter was probably an improvement as far as the palate was concerned.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2011, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2011, 09:53:04 AMThere's good reasons for everything but I don't know what they are. Nor do I think Japanese kids do.
Small crowded urbanised islands.   I think.

Even before they were urbanized they had similarities.  Island countries that developed in relative isolation.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
Indeed.  Imagine how terrible the real thing must be, if the bastardized version sold to Americans is borderline inedible?

Dude the American food they serve at amusement parks is borderline inedible.  I mean how can you mess up pizza?  Apparently pretty profoundly.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

The best comment on indigenous British fare comes from The Baroque Cycle, where one of the heroes needed to fool distant observers that he was taking a shit - fortunately he had access to a British feast, and British cuisine was rich with foods of the same general shape and consistency as fresh human turds.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 10:12:11 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 10:10:06 AM

Dude the American food they serve at amusement parks is borderline inedible.  I mean how can you mess up pizza?  Apparently pretty profoundly.

You snob.

:P
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

In my experience, amusement park food has generally tasted just fine, but overpriced.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I have to admit I really like haggis though  :blush:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2011, 10:19:32 AM
In my experience, amusement park food has generally tasted just fine, but overpriced.

This.

And funnel cakes are like heroin.