News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird British culture?

Started by Josquius, December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2011, 04:02:28 AM

Incidentally I'm going to be presenting with a Puerto Rican who I only learned was such last week having previously thought he was Mexican.

He has a name you know. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2011, 03:29:00 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2011, 04:02:28 AM

Incidentally I'm going to be presenting with a Puerto Rican who I only learned was such last week having previously thought he was Mexican.

:angry:

Also, Korean kids clean their schools same as Japan.

This is a practice America should adopt. 

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2011, 04:46:30 PM
Damn fine post Puff.  Very informative.  Hip hip!

So, driving on the side of a road has nothing to do with cars and everything to do with carts, horses and dictators. American cars famously (in japan and britain) were rarely made in right hand drive models, this is the motivation for Iceland and Sweden swapping from left to right. There have been some justifications for one side or the other based on ideas about people tending to favour one eye over the other and issues about wether it is best to change gears with your preferred hand or your non-preferred hand leaving the other on the steering wheel.

So the issues which decide this if your country relied on carriage haulage in the 18th and 19th centuries?
Was your country occupied and did the occupiers rely on carriage haulage in the 18th and 19th centuries?
Did your country import a sizable amount of cars after WWII?

If you answer those three questions I can tell you if your country drives on the left or right side of the road.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

Apparently Canada had different traffic directions in different provinces until the 20s.  Wikipedia says Nova Scotia switched from left to right in 1923.  :themoreyouknow: :Canuck:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2011, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2011, 03:29:00 PM
Also, Korean kids clean their schools same as Japan.

This is a practice America should adopt.

Serial killers and pedophiles need jobs too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on December 09, 2011, 04:42:52 PM
these are some of the theories. But Nappy standardizes the procedure for carts across all the lands he conquers regardless of what previous tradition was.

Woah thanks for the info that was actually pretty interesting :nerd:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 09:27:27 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 09, 2011, 04:42:52 PM
these are some of the theories. But Nappy standardizes the procedure for carts across all the lands he conquers regardless of what previous tradition was.

Woah thanks for the info that was actually pretty interesting :nerd:

oh.. I'm sorry I thought this was some form of languish mockery

hair trigger you know...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2011, 01:23:55 AM
Food. Comparing foreign food cultures is something that can always fill huge amounts of time. Yes, I know speaking of British food "culture" is a stretch, but hey.

Compare the full English breakfast to the typical Japanese breakfast, for example.

After trying the Bavarian cuisine for an extended period of time, I would have to eat a LOT of good German food to think a German is allowed to diss British food. :P

Holy Tasteless Batman!

Admiral Yi

I have been jonesing for some wienerschnitzel for the last few weeks.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2011, 07:04:21 AM
oh.. I'm sorry I thought this was some form of languish mockery

hair trigger you know...

Oh no I was quite sincere.  But I didn't see your outraged retort so it is all good :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Don't forget to mention the coal mines.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

You could talk about how British & Japan culture are eeriely alike.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2011, 09:44:33 AM

There are good reasons for that.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 13, 2011, 07:26:51 AM
After trying the Bavarian cuisine for an extended period of time, I would have to eat a LOT of good German food to think a German is allowed to diss British food. :P

Holy Tasteless Batman!

You probably think anything without paprika is tasteless.

But seriously I have spent plenty of time in both countries and man British food is pretty bland.  I never had the same reaction in Germany.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 09:47:16 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2011, 09:44:33 AM

There are good reasons for that.

There's good reasons for everything but I don't know what they are. Nor do I think Japanese kids do.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.