News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird British culture?

Started by Josquius, December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

What's a tradionnal breakfast like in Japan?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Viking on December 09, 2011, 01:52:52 AM
Thats only because most normal countries were converted to driving on the right by Napoleon or Hitler or Henry Ford.

The Trinity of Driving Dictators!
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Ok how could Napoleon dictate automobile driving habits decades before they were even invented?

I know he was a visionary leader but that is ridiculous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

:huh:
It might come as a bit of a shock but there have been roads and streets (and traffic) for millennia.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2011, 01:57:08 PM
It might come as a bit of a shock but there have been roads and streets (and traffic) for millennia.

I am quite aware of that they were all over the US...but I cannot help but notice the wagon ruts tended to run right down the middle of the road, not form on the right side of them.

When traffic is traveling at 50km/day rather than 70km/hr there is less of a need for laws telling people where on the road they can move.  Besides, if traffic laws have been around for millenia then why are we giving Henry Ford/Napoleon/Hitler credit?  Why not Hammurabi's chariot codes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Internal decor has to be a big thing differentiating Britain and Japan.  Granted I don't really know what it is apart from TV/movies, but if you could somehow capture the different attitudes towards domestic space, that could be insightful.

Different attitudes towards embarrassment and mockery -- British "taking the piss" culture might strike the Japanese as strange, I don't know.

Public transportation behavior.

Boozing culture; I know that Japanese businessmen are supposed to get smashed a lot, but there must be some clear differences to point out.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2011, 02:15:43 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2011, 01:57:08 PM

I am quite aware of that they were all over the US...but I cannot help but notice the wagon ruts tended to run right down the middle of the road, not form on the right side of them.

When traffic is traveling at 50km/day rather than 70km/hr there is less of a need for laws telling people where on the road they can move.  Besides, if traffic laws have been around for millenia then why are we giving Henry Ford/Napoleon/Hitler credit?  Why not Hammurabi's chariot codes?

Maybe because we don't know on which side of the road one had to enter Babylon. Or Rome, where most certainly there was traffic enough to have several lanes and sidewalks on main roads.
We do know though that Napoleon cared enough to standardize this wherever he went, just as he spread the metric system. Maybe he felt it was useful for army logistics, maybe something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2011, 04:02:28 AM

Incidentally I'm going to be presenting with a Puerto Rican who I only learned was such last week having previously thought he was Mexican.

:angry:

Also, Korean kids clean their schools same as Japan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2011, 02:13:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 09, 2011, 01:33:02 PM
What's a tradionnal breakfast like in Japan?

Rice and eel, IIRC.

The times I've had it there was usually a variety of pickled things, some fish, some rice, maybe broth and natto.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM
What is unusual in Britain?
What aspects of British culture do foreigners find particularly weird?
- language
- driving on the wrong side of the road
- weird tv shows being popular for many years (Benny Hill, Mr Bean, etc)
- the royal fetish (also quite common in you oversea colony, the Dominion of Canada)
- A totally different religion from Catholicism, yet almost the same, like replacing a non-elected head of Church by another non elected head of Church, albeit calling it "King" or "Queen" instead of "Pope" to feel really different.
- No annoying teenage pop stars, but cool bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.  That is so weird for someone living next door to the US...
- According to Asterix, all food is boiled with mint... if that's true, it's a double-yuck on both count.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2011, 03:58:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM
What is unusual in Britain?
What aspects of British culture do foreigners find particularly weird?
- language
- driving on the wrong side of the road
- weird tv shows being popular for many years (Benny Hill, Mr Bean, etc)
- the royal fetish (also quite common in you oversea colony, the Dominion of Canada)
- A totally different religion from Catholicism, yet almost the same, like replacing a non-elected head of Church by another non elected head of Church, albeit calling it "King" or "Queen" instead of "Pope" to feel really different.
- No annoying teenage pop stars, but cool bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.  That is so weird for someone living next door to the US...
- According to Asterix, all food is boiled with mint... if that's true, it's a double-yuck on both count.  :P

- Yes, Idiomatic English must be difficult for non-native speakers.

- Shield arm not exposed to other travellers makes perfect sense to me, a lefty.   :cool:

- A lot of those tv shows are more popular abroad than at home.

- Again, it seems to be foreigners who often obsess about royalty, most Brits can take it or leave it, it's no big thing.

- No I think CofE is very unlike Catholicism, in that nowadays there's very little dogma left, Anglicanism can be pretty much whatever you want it to be, which is why in my opinion it fails as a religion.

- I think talking about two heavy rock bands, in their prime 40 and 30 years ago respectively, doesn't say a lot about the state of british pop music. We now have plenty of teen bands and thanks to Simon Cowell et al, seem to be in a race to the bottom with the Americans, as to whom can come up with the most synthetic product.

- mint, what's mint, bar humbug.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2011, 01:47:52 PM
Ok how could Napoleon dictate automobile driving habits decades before they were even invented?

I know he was a visionary leader but that is ridiculous.

It has to do with the preferences of cart and coach teamsters and horseriders and rules of passing in traffic. There are good reasons for each side depending on era.

- roman teamsters would pass each other on the left, controlling their small carts was done either from the front right horse or seated on the right side of the carriage and they passed each other on the side where they could see and avoid crashes between the carts.
- later heavier carts with more horses would be controlled from the back left horse so the teamster could conveniently use the whip, such carts would pass each other on the right since the teamster was on the left.

- armoured knights would pass each other on the right since that place their shield between the horsemen
- in later less belligerent periods they would pass on the left because mounting the horse from the left was most conventient both with choice of leg and decorative swords getting in the way, these people would prefer to mount from the side of the road rather than the middle so they move to the left

these are some of the theories. But Nappy standardizes the procedure for carts across all the lands he conquers regardless of what previous tradition was.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Damn fine post Puff.  Very informative.  Hip hip!