News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Of Men And Valour

Started by Siege, April 28, 2009, 08:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 09:59:07 PM
somebody hacked seigy's account. remember his "warrior" threads?

anyhow, I gotta agree with the guy this time.

Wak do u min?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 28, 2009, 11:03:12 PM
Good post Siegy.  :)

I think his wife must have typed it, cause i could actually follow it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Siege

Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2009, 11:46:23 PM

I'm gonna file an EO complaint against you.
Who's the equal oportunity NCO over here?

Besides, I can see quite a few grammatical mistakes in it.
After I'm done, as usual.

katmai

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2009, 11:49:51 PM

CountDeMoney

:P

Siege

Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2009, 11:50:51 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2009, 11:49:51 PM

CountDeMoney

:P

:lol: 

That ain't funny.  <_<

Lettow77

You know, I dont have a bad opinion of you either Siege, although I suspect some here do.

I regret the barrier my racism creates between me and the outside world, but could not honestly repudiate it. However, I will repeat that blacks are Southerners, too, and it would be a task of more worth than my life to make them understand and appreciate this fact. I see no reason they should not have the same equality I am extended- Even assimilation and integration could be seen as a justified evil if it tied them to us and against the yankee.

You are right about valour, and I know it. In the thread I made a reference to Culloden- that, I feel, is the school the confederacy inherited. A shout, a charge, and a determination to break the enemy with little regard to your own life..but no real discipline to show patience and perserverence when the fortunes of war reverse, or when attrition and weary conditions frown upon your efforts.

It is an independence of spirit that I prize and think is worth perpetuating, even though I believe it led to Southern defeat again and again. It led to arguing between officers that never should have happened, and aggressive and grandoise strategies the South could not afford.

You are right that valour is something traditionally cherished by those who are 'unsuccessful in arms', I think, but I embrace it as my heritage even so. The idea of french elan in WW1, or the japanese bushido code in WW2 also appeal to me also. Even if it is a futile embrace of death, I find the determination enchanting rather than practical.

It is very much a romanticism over realism, and, to repeat, you are right in just about all your pronouncements on the subject. But it is the legacy I feel my country leaves with me.

Edit: I do not retract my statement, mind, that Southern soldiers were not some of the finest in the world. They were, and induitably superior to their yankee counterparts. (Most glaringly the true yankees of the new england region- The old northwest cheated by having ethnic Southerners fill out their ranks.) The Southern fighting man was freer and looser with his life than his counterpart, shot better, and rode harder.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 29, 2009, 12:05:56 AM
I will repeat that blacks are Southerners, too, and it would be a task of more worth than my life to make them understand and appreciate this fact.

No, I'm not a "Southerner."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

No, garbon, your a deviant, and no mistake.

But of course I meant blacks living in the South. My apologies if this was not abundently clear- I did not feel the need to specify, as blacks are primarily a Southern phenomenon.

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 29, 2009, 12:13:42 AM
blacks are primarily a Southern phenomenon.

How do you figure that?  The South certainly has the claim on % of total population, but I'd be interested in hearing that that the South has an overwhelming number of our nation's blacks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Garbon, why waste your time on him?

garbon

Quote from: katmai on April 29, 2009, 12:22:29 AM
Garbon, why waste your time on him?

My show was on commercial. :blush:

Lettow77

Garbon, not only do over half of all blacks in America live in the South, but those who dont mostly had their ancestry from there until fairly recently.

In addition to that, the black experience in America has mostly been a shared one with the Southern experience- either at conflict with us or sharing our sufferings.

garbon

As of the 2000 census, 54.8% of blacks lived in the South. While I suppose that does meet the requirements of over half, I think you'd be neglecting a lot if you discounted that other 45.2%.

If fairly recently equals 2 generations or more, I fail to see your point.

Lettow77

Blacks are intensely segregated up north. They live in urban cesspools attended by as few whites as possible- there is a far greater level of integration here, where blacks are actually organic members of society.

And yes, two generations or more is fairly recently. I'd think of a third generation russian immigrant as a russian- you wouldent?