Has the mainstream TV gone more conservative over the last decades?

Started by Martinus, April 28, 2009, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2009, 07:26:25 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 28, 2009, 07:08:13 PM
Breaking Bad couldn't have been on HBO a decade ago.   :huh:

Yes it could have, you moronic chimp.
Hmm.

A decade and a half ago?  I'd say it is as dark as The Sopranos or Oz.  Still, it's pretty impressive that we've seen the birth of 'adult' television drama on with Oz and is now spreading into regular cable (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and arguably into mainstream television (Lost has been getting steadily more violent, the new LA show).
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Chord

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on April 28, 2009, 07:36:06 PM
A decade and a half ago?  I'd say it is as dark as The Sopranos or Oz.  Still, it's pretty impressive that we've seen the birth of 'adult' television drama on with Oz and is now spreading into regular cable (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and arguably into mainstream television (Lost has been getting steadily more violent, the new LA show).
I think it's because TV is now the place ambitious young writers and directors want to do their thing.  It's been shown since the nineties how good it could be. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Does no one remember NYPD Blue?  That was rather "adult" in nature, both in regards to nudity and language.  It created quite a stir and was on one of the Big 3.  Television hasn't gotten more conservative, if anything it has gotten more open.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Caliga

Dude, you were like five a decade ago.. how would you know? :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 07:19:32 AM

Dude, you were like five a decade ago.. how would you know? :P
Some of my earliest memories are watching Law and Order, Homicide and The Simpsons.  I remember television as well as anything.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2009, 02:24:00 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 28, 2009, 07:36:06 PM
I think it's because TV is now the place ambitious young writers and directors want to do their thing.  It's been shown since the nineties how good it could be.
I remember NYPD Blue. I wasn't an avid watcher of the show, but it was a popular, good show.

Eddie Teach

Cool thread, you got a couple people to delurk to tell you you're wrong.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi