Has the mainstream TV gone more conservative over the last decades?

Started by Martinus, April 28, 2009, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Recently I have come upon this little gem from 1970s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VbSfQ3nAM

The very audacity of this just made me giggle. Could a song like this happen on today's mainstream tv? And the fact that it's Bea Arthur and Rock Hudson just makes it dreamy.  :cool:

Neil

Maybe.  Then again, I'm not sure that it's conservatism so much as it is the War on Drugs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

they don't do those kind've variety shows mostly. sometimes you'd get similar stuff on shows like SNL, Mad TV and other late night ensemble shows.

dramatically, some of the edgier drug stuff now goes to cable HBO (Sopranos), Showtime (Weeds) .

on networks, its PG. for example, every episode of "That 70's Show" had pot smoking...you just never saw it explicitly. but the camera spun and the characters went nonlinear. of course, there's also the famous Murphy Brown medical marijuana episode where she toked.

none of the above have homosexual icons, so I guess it doesn't meet Marty's definition. thus the real question is: "why has gay culture gotten more conservative over the last decade?"
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quotethey don't do those kind've variety shows mostly.

Thank god.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2009, 02:44:19 PM
Quotethey don't do those kind've variety shows mostly.

Thank god.

weirdly, the Simpsons is directly influenced by them. tons of guest stars; short, often connected skits; frequent musical numbers and numerous costume changes.

frunk

Family Guy and South Park also frequently break out in song.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: frunk on April 28, 2009, 03:11:57 PM
Family Guy and South Park also frequently break out in song.
Seth MacFarlane is more directly influenced by Broadway with some occasional Vaudeville thrown in.
Experience bij!

saskganesh

all influenced by the Simpsons of course.

classic primetime cartoons, like the Flintstones, would have the "Way Outs" or something, but not as a regular element.

katmai

What kind of dumbass question is this, oh it's from Marcin, nvm.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

saskganesh

Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2009, 04:49:24 PM

so do you think "Gay culture has gotten more conservative over the last decade?"

katmai

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 05:21:04 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2009, 04:49:24 PM

so do you think "Gay culture has gotten more conservative over the last decade?"

No, and neither has Mainstream tv.

Sheilbh

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 02:40:33 PM
they don't do those kind've variety shows mostly. sometimes you'd get similar stuff on shows like SNL, Mad TV and other late night ensemble shows.
More's the pity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgdhZGLJrY

Quotenone of the above have homosexual icons, so I guess it doesn't meet Marty's definition. thus the real question is: "why has gay culture gotten more conservative over the last decade?"
Gone mainstream.  We want to settle down, get married and (GOD FORBID!) move to suburbia :bleeding:

This moment can be placed precisely if you find out when gays increased rather than decreased an area's property prices.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

TV hasn't gone nearly conservative enough! I've heard cuss words in some movies!!   :cool: 

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Queequeg on April 28, 2009, 07:08:13 PM
Breaking Bad couldn't have been on HBO a decade ago.   :huh:

Yes it could have, you moronic chimp.