News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Black Eye for Putin

Started by Jacob, December 04, 2011, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The results are coming in. The Russians are not as fond of Putin as he'd like to claim. Even with all the shenanigans, it seems United Russia is only getting around 50% of the vote.

The question is, I guess, how Putin's going to react? Does Russian democracy have some heft after all?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russia-voters-turn-away-from-putin-party/2011/12/04/gIQA5MG5TO_story_1.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/russian-election-results-a-blow-to-putin/article2259498/

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Oh, I imagine he'll get the votes he needs in the end.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2011, 10:03:27 PM
The results are coming in. The Russians are not as fond of Putin as he'd like to claim. Even with all the shenanigans, it seems United Russia is only getting around 50% of the vote.

The question is, I guess, how Putin's going to react? Does Russian democracy have some heft after all?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russia-voters-turn-away-from-putin-party/2011/12/04/gIQA5MG5TO_story_1.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/russian-election-results-a-blow-to-putin/article2259498/

Well, if one defines whether democracy has any heft, by those opposing the United Russia party, consider that the second strongest party are the Communists, followed by the party led by Vladimir Zhirinovsky.  I'd say that still kinda leaves democracy somewhere in the gutter.

Of course, there is likely quite a substantial number of followers of United Russia who believe in Putin/Medvedev, and genuinely believe that they are supporting democratic (and of course, nationalistic) principles.

jimmy olsen

He warned the west against interfering in the election last week so he must have suspected it was going to be close.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

What I meant is whether the changing opinion by the Russian population will ultimately lead to a peaceful transition in government. Basically, how much will the decreased mandate put a check on Putin and his people? When the Russians eventually tire of Putin, will he cling to power or step down? Will his replacement be an actual alternative?

Tonitrus

Well, remember, this election was for the Duma (like Congress), while presidential elections aren't until March.  The worst that can happen there, is that United Russia might need a working partner in one of the other parties, and could probably easily find one.

A sub-50% vote for Putin just means a run-off election, and unless there is some really dynamic opposing personality (who is not already in jail), he would probably win that too.  Pretty sure that not having a "mandate" of an overwhelming vote for him is much of a limiting factor in any sense over there.  The president maintains enough power to get things done.

Will electoral sentiment change over time?  Sure, maybe, but right now, opposing presidential prospects would probably envy the power and potential of the current U.S. Republican presidential hopefuls.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Not that surprising, this result was predicted.  It also wouldn't change anything.  Putin is very skillful at letting the steam off just enough, without actually compromising his power.

Zanza

Putin himself is apparently much more popular than his party.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on December 05, 2011, 02:12:19 AM
Putin himself is apparently much more popular than his party.
Although I've read that even he's losing his popularity.  Though it's still pretty high.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Considering communists got over 20% and rabid nationalist fascists nearly 15%, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 04, 2011, 11:10:26 PM

Well, if one defines whether democracy has any heft, by those opposing the United Russia party, consider that the second strongest party are the Communists, followed by the party led by Vladimir Zhirinovsky.  I'd say that still kinda leaves democracy somewhere in the gutter.

Of course, there is likely quite a substantial number of followers of United Russia who believe in Putin/Medvedev, and genuinely believe that they are supporting democratic (and of course, nationalistic) principles.

Plus, given the results I saw (in the first link in the OP), his party still got roughly 2.5 times the number of votes as the second most popular party.  Might not have an outright majority, but obviously they're the dominant party.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2011, 05:27:24 AM
Considering communists got over 20% and rabid nationalist fascists nearly 15%, I wouldn't be too happy about it.
Not entirely an accident.  Keeping compliant yet repulsive parties as your nominal "opposition" is very much part of design.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on